[SOLVED] New, faster router that will work with Sky ?

flourgrader

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
Hi Guys,
I need a NEW Router, and one that would be compatible with changes I may make in the future which are laid out below,
So, I am looking for some expert advice.
I hope someone can help with some good ideas.
I live in the UK.
My ISP is SKY.
My broadband connection is:
Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC).
When available I would like the option to upgrade to Fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP).

My current Router/Modem is the:
TP-Link- Archer VR2800_also_known_as_the_Archer AC2800
There are 10 people in my house, all using multiple devices.
The QOS in the TP-Link router is rubbish! It does not work.
I have 2 SSD drives attached to the router’s USB_3 external storage.
I use the router external storage as a very simple NAS system.
But it’s too slow now as I need to send huge amounts of video data to it.
From my NEW router I would like:
Excellent QOS,

if I could monitor the individual usage consumption of bandwidth of each user’s hardware that would be good.
And be able to throttle their bandwidth when they were taking it all (in downloads)
Faster Network speed of around 2 Gbps or faster would be good.
Have the USB_3 external storage, but faster than above.
So, my Question is?
Which router today would be a better replacement for the
above TP-Link Router?
Thank You....

Solution
How fast is your internet connection.

The main problem with QoS is it will eat the CPU and if you are using the NAS function it will use even more.

Most routers just turning on the QoS with very simple rules will max your router out at under 300mbps. The only real solution for this is to get a larger CPU. Pretty much no consumer router is going to work for you. You need to either buy a device targeted to business or use a PC and build your own router.

You don't see this in consumer routers because most people that have large internet connections are not exceeding the bandwidth.

Your problem though is mostly a non technical one. QoS is really nothing but a enforcement of a agreement. If people limit their downloads...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi Guys,
I need a NEW Router, and one that would be compatible with changes I may make in the future which are laid out below,
So, I am looking for some expert advice.
I hope someone can help with some good ideas.
I live in the UK.
My ISP is SKY.
My broadband connection is:
Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC).
When available I would like the option to upgrade to Fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP).

My current Router/Modem is the:
TP-Link- Archer VR2800_also_known_as_the_Archer AC2800
There are 10 people in my house, all using multiple devices.
The QOS in the TP-Link router is rubbish! It does not work.
I have 2 SSD drives attached to the router’s USB_3 external storage.
I use the router external storage as a very simple NAS system.
But it’s too slow now as I need to send huge amounts of video data to it.
From my NEW router I would like:
Excellent QOS,

if I could monitor the individual usage consumption of bandwidth of each user’s hardware that would be good.
And be able to throttle their bandwidth when they were taking it all (in downloads)
Faster Network speed of around 2 Gbps or faster would be good.
Have the USB_3 external storage, but faster than above.
So, my Question is?
Which router today would be a better replacement for the
above TP-Link Router?
Thank You....
NONE. Using the USB ports on a router will always be poor performance. Routers don't have enough CPU power to do what you want.
Split the storage from the router. Buy a proper network storage unit (NAS). QNAP, Synology, Thecus are the big three in home NAS. A cheaper alternative is Asustor.

How fast is your internet connection.

The main problem with QoS is it will eat the CPU and if you are using the NAS function it will use even more.

Most routers just turning on the QoS with very simple rules will max your router out at under 300mbps. The only real solution for this is to get a larger CPU. Pretty much no consumer router is going to work for you. You need to either buy a device targeted to business or use a PC and build your own router.

You don't see this in consumer routers because most people that have large internet connections are not exceeding the bandwidth.

Your problem though is mostly a non technical one. QoS is really nothing but a enforcement of a agreement. If people limit their downloads themselves you don't really need QoS. TPLINK has a ok QoS you should be able to limit maximum and minimum rates by IP address. Can you get a actual agreement on how much bandwidth people can use. Does no good to setup QoS and then someone else resets the router. In the end the person that pays the bills for internet connection makes the rules.

But in the end if you have a very large internet connection and bunch of idiots running torrent 24x7 you are going to have to use a PC to accomplish this.

Reactions: flourgrader
Solution

flourgrader

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
Yes I pay the bill, and yes idiots running torrent 24x7 or Huge Game updates...stealing all the bandwidth....Grrrrrr
I added the offending PC to TP-Link Router advanced>QoS Rule list and the offending PC still managed to suck up all the bandwidth with Game Update downloads.
That is why I made the statement above that I thought QoS on this router was Rubbish
Thank you all for your thoughts on this topic...

Torrent actually has methods to try to bypass QoS type of restrictions ISP attempted to use. The only one that it can't get around is a hard cap. The tplink should have a option to put in a maximum data rate for a particular IP address. So if you have 300mbps just limit each to say 30mbps. A lot of bandwidth will be wasted/unused but it will solve the issue. The hard cap is also the least CPU intensive because it doesn't have to keep track of multiple individual data sessions a user has. Be sure to limit upload and download rates since torrent users tend to also seed files.

Still almost all file transfer things have ways to limit the usage. If you got everyone to agree to use these limits they would then be able to say surf the web while they were downloading. With a cap on the router their torrent traffic will in effect block their ability to use anything else at the same time.