News New Firmware Boosts RTX 3080 Ti Mining Speed By 21 Percent

Dec 11, 2021
You are definitely part of the problem. Anything that assists Miners and/or scalpers should be boycotted and driven into the dirt, considering the current availability of GPUs, and the prevalence of unethical practices.

Reactions: Jim90

InvalidError

Titan
You are definitely part of the problem. Anything that assists Miners and/or scalpers should be boycotted and driven into the dirt, considering the current availability of GPUs, and the prevalence of unethical practices.
It doesn't matter. People who take crypto-mining seriously on a much larger scale than people taking their news from more mainstream tech media have their own communities that are days if not weeks ahead on this sort of stuff.

The people who really want to know about this stuff likely knew several days ago, which is how they could confirm that the EVGA vBIOS works on multiple other models before the story went mainstream.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I see you joined just to post this! Hooray! Im here to 100% guarantee this didnt shift the availability of gpus at all. In fact because it has so little impact im going to counter you and say it actually made them more available because now that guy shooting for a lhr 3080/70ti for mining might step it up leaving more mid range cards for consumer purchase.

And bringing ethics into this is silly. On that point, i think it is unethical of you to disparage these people. Your video game playing enjoyment has more value than their livelihood? Its more important for you to play halo than for joe down the street to eat? In my opinion that is as ethically deprived a stance to hold as eugenics.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Now the article will bring hundreds of " I flashed my bios now my card does not work threads."
Traffic is traffic I guess.
But for some reason comments do not show for this article???????
Conspiracy?!?!?
:homer:
No, it won't, and people have been reporting missing comments on articles for a while now. It didn't "coincidently" start with this article.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Gee, now my favorite Video Card is an even bigger target for Miners. I wonder if that same BIOS update would have a performance boost in some types of games or utilities?

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
This article only confirm that only worldwide crypto mining ban by any means necessary will end GPU shortages
Even forgetting the absolute impossibility of implementing a "worldwide ban" on anything, the fact remains that such a move would only hurt the gaming community.
The short-run economic effect of high demand is shortages, true. However the long-run effect is to increase production capacity and --in the field of technology especially -- to boost R&D spending for future products. That ultimately leads to more powerful cards faster, and at a lower price.

Last edited:

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Editors forgetting to add the forum link when putting a story up has been a thing for years, though it appears to have become far more frequent in recent weeks.
Not that I doubt you, but I find it difficult to believe the site administration software doesn't do this automatically, as part of the template for new content.