New Flash Specs Double Transfer Speeds of SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
oh boy! oh wait are they not pushing more than 400 MB/sec already? sata 3 already MAX out for the most part. Are they trying every thing in there will to keep this at steady tip toeing pace or what wtf!

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I wonder why most motherboards, even enthusiast/gamer type don't have at least one X4 PCI-Ex slot, but came with 4 and 5 X16 PCI-Ex.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]mosu[/nom]I wonder why most motherboards, even enthusiast/gamer type don't have at least one X4 PCI-Ex slot, but came with 4 and 5 X16 PCI-Ex.[/citation]

well...you could just plug the x4 cards into the x16 slots. Why limit the board's potential?

vork

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]oh boy! oh wait are they not pushing more than 400 MB/sec already? sata 3 already MAX out for the most part. [/citation]

I assume the 400 MB/s is per channel, the new Intel 510 SSD for example has 8 channels, so you can do the math on that one :)

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]well...you could just plug the x4 cards into the x16 slots. Why limit the board's potential?[/citation]
The board's potential is already limited. How many of those x16 slots do you think actually work at x16 speeds? The answer is one or two, unless you have a really high-end motherboard.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
SSD manufacturers should really start focusing on increasing the capacity and lowering the cost. These types of speeds are cool and all, but completely pointless for most applications.

The only major application that would really see a benefit from is image/video processing. Trying to capture uncompressed video is the only process which can typically actually max out a connection other than backups. Backups can be automated and run during down-time, though, so that's not much of any issue.

Of course... Uncompressed video takes up something like 400GB and hour for 720p.... Yay! So I wonder just how many of these drives you'd need, and how many thousands it would cost.

Super-fast read/writes don't mean much if there isn't enough space to read/write the information. It's simply not practical.

Now IOSpeed... That can be useful for servers, no doubt, but this doesn't seem to be an improvement in that regard.

I won't say this is a completely pointless advancement of the technology, it will become relevant some day, but the research is improving the wrong things.

G

If you read the whole article, you'd see that this new standard is supposed to reduce costs as well.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
@supertreck - I agree with what you said in principle, but SSD manufacturers are still enjoying a period of time where there is a lot of money to be made selling more expensive SSDs. If they undercut their own market by selling slower, less expensive SSDs (even with larger sales volumes) they won't make as much profit.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]@supertreck - I agree with what you said in principle, but SSD manufacturers are still enjoying a period of time where there is a lot of money to be made selling more expensive SSDs. If they undercut their own market by selling slower, less expensive SSDs (even with larger sales volumes) they won't make as much profit.[/citation]

i would be an irl troll, i would undercut it JUST for the sake of screwing over competition.

G

supetreck are you crazy ? speed is not important but size is ? can you please tell me why you need a larger ssd than the current sizes of 250GB ? 250GB are more than enough for your OS, your apps AND your games. Now, if you have this notion that you want to store your mp3s or movies store the ssd, then i don't know what to say.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mirror666[/nom]supetreck are you crazy ? speed is not important but size is ? can you please tell me why you need a larger ssd than the current sizes of 250GB ? 250GB are more than enough for your OS, your apps AND your games. Now, if you have this notion that you want to store your mp3s or movies store the ssd, then i don't know what to say.[/citation]

well lets see here. I PERSONALY could use an ssd for general storage. bevcause i have an extensive collection (as in 1 mill+) of jpegs, pngs, gifs, and other imagess, i also have an extensive collection of htmls

both of which are almost impossible ot manage on a standard hard drive. to manage the images alone i would need at least 250gb, and up to 500gb if i take a 3-4 year hardware refresh into account.

I (i capitalized the i because i said it louder, not for correct grammar purposes) can use a 250gb+ ssd, in fact i could use 2tb of ssd as it stands, and who the hell can be satisfied with just 250gb of space. my applications i need run around 50-75gb, and my games run 20 gb each and 1gb or the older ones, i would fill 2 of these full for all i want to install on them.

gavjof

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]in fact i could use 2tb of ssd as it stands, and who the hell can be satisfied with just 250gb of space. my applications i need run around 50-75gb, and my games run 20 gb each and 1gb or the older ones, i would fill 2 of these full for all i want to install on them.[/citation]
I have a large number of apps and games on my Windows 7 install and think I could easily manage with ~120GB nicely. All those all games I don't play anymore don't really need to be on my C drive. The same goes for all my documents and work. They're sat on a WD Green TB or archived on my NAS. I don't access them every day so they're just stored for future use. Do you really need the speed of a SSD to load up all those HTML files?

Really you'd be better off with a SSD for the OS and your main apps and then some Western Digital Greens or Samsung Spoinpoints setup in RAID.

tavix

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]yay! soon the ssd can become as fast as ddr2 RAM[/citation]

Not a chance. The slowest DDR2-400 has a peak rate of 3200MB/s. Thats 3.2GB/s, hehehe!

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]mirror666[/nom]supetreck are you crazy ? speed is not important but size is ? can you please tell me why you need a larger ssd than the current sizes of 250GB ? 250GB are more than enough for your OS, your apps AND your games. Now, if you have this notion that you want to store your mp3s or movies store the ssd, then i don't know what to say.[/citation]

That's actually the sweet spot I'm aiming for. A nice 250GB SSD, with these speeds for under $200, I'd buy that all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS