New folder on shared drive not visible

CerisCinderwolf

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hey everyone! So here's my set-up: Windows 7 x64-bit Ultimate machine has a RAID 6 "drive" shared (on homegroup) for home-server purposes. I have four folders shared and from my gaming machine (same username, windows 10, same homegroup) I can copy/paste files and folders into the shared folders on the server.

Directory structure is "\\CINDER-SERVER" (which is really the D: drive on the server) and it shows my four sub-folders along with the "users" folder (5th folder).

My problem is this: I created a new folder entitled "RPG Books" (D:\RPG Books) but it does not show up when I view it from my gaming rig at all. I can still access and even upload/paste files to the other shared folders... but I can't at all see the newly created folder.
I checked the "share" option on the folder and it shows the exact same sharing rules as the other folders (users: "administrator" and "cinderwolf" both listed for all other folders as well as the newly made rpg books folder).
I've re-started the server twice now and it's not had any effect.

Anyone have any ideas and solutions as to why one new folder won't appear where others do?
First networking problem since I built this system.

Solution
Windows 7 is just on crack....

I tested adding "everyone - read/write" access and that worked... but I don't want everyone to have access.
I manually removed all usernames (including my regular username).
I manually added the username I always use.
I changed permission from read/write to just READ... saved.
Then I set permission to READ/WRITE.

This solved it.
There is no logical explanation whatsoever for why Windows decided to work now when it was using the exact same settings as when I posted this.

CerisCinderwolf

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Windows 7 is just on crack....

I tested adding "everyone - read/write" access and that worked... but I don't want everyone to have access.
I manually removed all usernames (including my regular username).
I manually added the username I always use.
I changed permission from read/write to just READ... saved.
Then I set permission to READ/WRITE.

This solved it.
There is no logical explanation whatsoever for why Windows decided to work now when it was using the exact same settings as when I posted this.

Solution
Glad you got it fixed.

From experience I can tell you that for windows 7 to be a file server you will want to change this registry key DWORD value to 0:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableConnectionRateLimiting

By default windows 7 sets a limit for concurrent tcp connections and so after a few days you start seeing connection issues.