News New FPS Cheating Tool Uses Machine Learning, Is Impossible to Detect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Would it be possible for a game to require you to select a mouse device, the same way you select an audio device? If the game accepts input from one and only one mouse, would that render this cheat ineffective?

And this continues to give companies an excuse to include their Ring-0 anti-cheat services that aren't audited for security and/or stability.
i mean....that wont do anythign to prevent this one. they stated it can be literally ran on another pc .

Would it be possible for a game to require you to select a mouse device, the same way you select an audio device? If the game accepts input from one and only one mouse, would that render this cheat ineffective?
no.
as it basically is what the cheat uses wouldnt do anything.
in fps your mouse is the crosshairs. the cheat fires at any target near ur crosshair. meaning its basically using your mouse. (just automating the click)

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
no. as it basically is what the cheat uses wouldnt do anything.
in fps your mouse is the crosshairs. the cheat fires at any target near ur crosshair. meaning its basically using your mouse. (just automating the click)

I thought this cheat also functioned as a second mouse, to move the cursor around.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Using a 'Dirty Harry' or 'MIB' style anti-cheat, where games implement friendly NPCs that occasionally pass through the cross-hairs, might detect AI fire. I doubt that is a rabbit hole that developers want to pursue to try to outwit ever-improving AI algorithms, though.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Grabbing frames off a capture device and then relaying commands to an input device is rather novel. Very effective and not detectable via automated mechanisms. These devs are clever. I would have preferred to man-in-the-middle the game's network communications, but this is even cleaner and could apply even to consoles with the right setup. Too bad publishers and developers prefer to outsource security that barely works rather than invest in security internally.

eh....... so whats the point of playing anymore right?

If my GPU will do my shooting, ima just go and watch and action movie instead.
If I were still playing modern competitive FPS games, then the appeal of a cheat like this to me would be to accelerate the process of unlocking content I paid for without enriching the publisher/developer that made unlocks such a slog. That would be the point -- to rapidly get to the content you actually want to enjoy rather than getting relentlessly dominated by the unlockable for 3 weeks, unlocking it, and then having 3-7 days before the devs nerf the unlockable into oblivion. Such a cheat was not necessary in older FPS games lacking unlockables that affect gameplay.

TwoSpoons100

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Include some vaguely human shaped rocks and trees - if your system is repeatedly attacking them you earn "suspicion" points, so you get flagged as a potential cheater. Combined with real player reports ... down comes the ban hammer!

If I were still playing modern competitive FPS games, then the appeal of a cheat like this to me would be to accelerate the process of unlocking content I paid for without enriching the publisher/developer that made unlocks such a slog. That would be the point -- to rapidly get to the content you actually want to enjoy rather than getting relentlessly dominated by the unlockable for 3 weeks, unlocking it, and then having 3-7 days before the devs nerf the unlockable into oblivion. Such a cheat was not necessary in older FPS games lacking unlockables that affect gameplay.

I enjoy current single player FPS a lot, I don't mind grinding a bit to get better gear, etc.

The only times I set foot on a multiplayer FPS is when some of my brothers and/or a friend is online too, I just go in for the lols thats all. But that almost never happend, we all enjoy other games instead.

I thought this cheat also functioned as a second mouse, to move the cursor around.
very few things work with 2 mice. (even if u get 2 to work its just viewed as same). 90+% of games arent built to use multiple mice as not needed.

stuff thats a desktop version of vr (where u should be able to use 2 hands) generally can be rigged to use 2 mice but again not a common thing.

where games implement friendly NPCs that occasionally pass through the cross-hairs
wouldnt likely be done as that would annoy players xD

would likely see devs just stop doing PC versions and focus on Console (which likely can't run this type of cheat in 1st place) as they could brute force all non controller/display/network ports apart from the current runnign title to reject any input signal.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
would likely see devs just stop doing PC versions and focus on Console (which likely can't run this type of cheat in 1st place) as they could brute force all non controller/display/network ports apart from the current runnign title to reject any input signal.

Bad news, it works on Xbox and PS5 as well.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

I think so yes, but it would only really work along with special hardware designed to defeat cheating.

We might see that sort of thing soon in some competitive online games, where you have to use an encrypted mouse with an ID Chip in it which you get sent by the game publisher, which only works with your account. But it would be pretty expensive to do that and most players would not buy a mouse just for one game. I imagine only top level ranked players in certain games would take part in anything like that.

Maybe a keyboard with an encryption chip built in or something.

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s a good thing I don’t play <Mod Edit> games

Last edited by a moderator:
The creators made the app supposedly to "fight against cheaters" currently running rampant in modern FPS shooters. But tools designed to fight bad actors never fall into the wrong hands, right?
How exactly is releasing more cheats that are even harder to detect supposed to combat cheaters? And if it's for supposedly altruistic purposes, why are they charging money for it? >_>

This can run on a separate system capturing the video output, so it could theoretically work on any console as well. All one really needs is to emulate the gamepad signals.

We might see that sort of thing soon in some competitive online games, where you have to use an encrypted mouse with an ID Chip in it which you get sent by the game publisher, which only works with your account
If someone is willing to buy a special input device featuring signal encryption, then what's to stop them from buying additional hardware to automatically control that device? Such hardware could either mechanically click the button switches, or do so electronically via some simple modifications to the original hardware. And mouse movements could be emulated using something like an automated roller ball underneath to simulate the surface moving, or a mechanical device on top that moves the mouse itself. And the same could be done with gamepads on a console, either by connecting them to a device that physically moves the thumbsticks and presses the buttons, or by having the gamepad modified to electronically bypass those components. Considering some people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars or more for working cheats, there would undoubtedly be a market for such devices.

As for potential countermeasures, it might be possible for games to detect movements as being "unnatural", though false-positives might potentially occur. Perhaps machine learning could be used to compare user inputs against an array of known cheat systems and human inputs, though that might just lead to machine-learning-based cheat systems doing the same to counteract them.

And if people were trying to cheat at tournaments, obviously something like this wouldn't work for in-person events. Or even for online tournaments, there could be a requirement for those taking part them to stream a video showing their hand movements to verify that they actually line up with what's happening in-game.

Reactions: JWNoctis

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
How exactly is releasing more cheats that are even harder to detect supposed to combat cheaters? And if it's for supposedly altruistic purposes, why are they charging money for it? >_>
...By cheating oneself so the field is again more or less level? Can't argue with that logic. XD

This can run on a separate system capturing the video output, so it could theoretically work on any console as well. All one really needs is to emulate the gamepad signals.

If someone is willing to buy a special input device featuring signal encryption, then what's to stop them from buying additional hardware to automatically control that device? Such hardware could either mechanically click the button switches, or do so electronically via some simple modifications to the original hardware. And mouse movements could be emulated using something like an automated roller ball underneath to simulate the surface moving, or a mechanical device on top that moves the mouse itself. And the same could be done with gamepads on a console, either by connecting them to a device that physically moves the thumbsticks and presses the buttons, or by having the gamepad modified to electronically bypass those components. Considering some people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars or more for working cheats, there would undoubtedly be a market for such devices.

As for potential countermeasures, it might be possible for games to detect movements as being "unnatural", though false-positives might potentially occur. Perhaps machine learning could be used to compare user inputs against an array of known cheat systems and human inputs, though that might just lead to machine-learning-based cheat systems doing the same to counteract them.

And if people were trying to cheat at tournaments, obviously something like this wouldn't work for in-person events. Or even for online tournaments, there could be a requirement for those taking part them to stream a video showing their hand movements to verify that they actually line up with what's happening in-game.
ML for similar purposes already exist for "I'm not a robot" checkboxes etc. Actual efficacy may vary.

I predict a market for cybernetic arms, for precisely this purpose, at some point. One-upmanship never ends.

hannibal

Distinguished
Seem that only way is to calculate reaction times like sport events and if player reaction is inhumanly fast… he is banned. Years there will be false bans. But that would be the only way… this can end multiplayer shooters and most likely also racing games…

Apr 1, 2020
Wouldn't the best solution be to improve the matchmaking algorithms so they eventually only get matched against each other, and create flags which detect purposeful bad play in an attempt to decrease your ranking?

Or perhaps increase the time between matches the higher your kills-to-death ratio, combined with other stats such as shots to hits and shots without enemies around in an attempt to mask cheats, so cheaters get so annoyed they go to other games.

hreaper

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I think FPS games should implement a sort of playback system to see how the other guy killed you. It would enable the victim catch if it's a cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.