[SOLVED] New gaming build 4k , Any improvements needed ?

Thatoli

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Hello there,

The time has come to buy a new Rig and this time i want to go for a 4k gaming system. My plan is to wait for the 3080 or 3080ti to release for the GPU and in the meantime just use my 1070 gaming x to put me on @1440p on my ASUS ROG XG279Q. Then in 12 months time order the GPU and a 4k monitor. How do you rate the build i've put together ?

any advice welcome !

thanks

Solution
Hello there,

The time has come to buy a new Rig and this time i want to go for a 4k gaming system. My plan is to wait for the 3080 or 3080ti to release for the GPU and in the meantime just use my 1070 gaming x to put me on @1440p on my ASUS ROG XG279Q. Then in 12 months time order the GPU and a 4k monitor. How do you rate the build i've put together ?

ComponentSelectionBasePromoShippingTaxPriceWhere
CPUIntel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor£529.98£1.99£531.97Buy
Hello there,

any advice welcome !

thanks
CPU: While the 10900K is the fastest CPU around right now, it uses A LOT of power and at 4K there will be no difference between it and a 3700X or 3900X. That will save you money on both the CPU cost and the power & cooler cost. If you do decide to keep the 10900K you will need a 360mm AIO as the H100i is too small to cool the 10900K.

SSD: The 970 Evo/Plus are the fastest SSDs out right now, but they are a waste of money. You can get similar performance from a lot of other companies without the 25-50% Samsung task.

RAM: At this point in time 16GB would be the typical for a gaming system. Since this is a high end gaming system I would go with a 2x16GB just so I wouldn't have to add RAM later on.

Here is an example of a similar build using AMD instead.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (£404.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£105.43 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£335.78 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£133.16 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£71.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow ATX Full Tower Case (£189.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx White 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: £1370.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-11 20:20 BST+0100

You are actually getting a bit more for your money here.

Solution

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Looks pretty nice, although liquid coolers aren't very necessary. Unless you want to impress your friends, air coolers are more affordable, quieter, and deliver very similar performance. I would recommend any fan from Noctua, but I would especially suggest you buy one of their chromax.black fans if you value your dignity (Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black).
Also, you are overpaying for that RAM. I recommend you watch this video. It goes in-depth about RAM speeds and how they affect performance. As he states, 3200 is the sweet spot for gaming, and anything higher won't give considerable improvement. If you are interested in RGB lighting, I say you buy something like this and save your money. With this saved money, I would upgrade your storage solution. I think you will be surprised at how quickly 1tb will fill up with a couple of modern games. I recommend you get a separate nvme or ssd for your OS, and then allocate space for games in your 970 EVO.

Reactions: Thatoli

Thatoli

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Looks pretty nice, although liquid coolers aren't very necessary. Unless you want to impress your friends, air coolers are more affordable, quieter, and deliver very similar performance. I would recommend any fan from Noctua, but I would especially suggest you buy one of their chromax.black fans if you value your dignity (Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black).
Also, you are overpaying for that RAM. I recommend you watch this video. It goes in-depth about RAM speeds and how they affect performance. As he states, 3200 is the sweet spot for gaming, and anything higher won't give considerable improvement. If you are interested in RGB lighting, I say you buy something like this and save your money. With this saved money, I would upgrade your storage solution. I think you will be surprised at how quickly 1tb will fill up with a couple of modern games. I recommend you get a separate nvme or ssd for your OS, and then allocate space for games in your 970 EVO.
Thanks for your advise mate i will definitely look at them changes, much appreciated

With a 10900K you absolutely need the biggest and baddest cooler you can find. Don't get me wrong the Noctua NH-U12S is a great CPU cooler, but it is undersized for the heat that can be generated by the 10900K. When Tom's did their review, they were using a NH-D15 & Corsair H115i for their test system. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review/2 Depending on the application, the CPU hit 250W of power draw. With a U12S your CPU will be around 100C. From Anandtech's conclusion page on the 10900K review: "The one issue that Intel won’t escape from is that all this extra power requires extra money to be put into cooling the chip. While the Core i9 processor is around the same price as the Ryzen 9 3900X, the AMD processor comes with a 125 W cooler which will do the job – Intel customers will have to go forth and source expensive cooling in order to keep this cool. Speaking with a colleague, he had issues cooling his 10900K test chip with a Corsair H115i, indicating that users should look to spending $150+ on a cooling setup. That’s going to be a critical balancing element here when it comes to recommendations. "

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
8/10.
-Intel's cpus lose their speed advantage at the higher resolutions, so you're massively overspending on the cpu.
Wanna benefit from the 10900K? Then keep it at 1080p or lower.
-That AIO may prove to be inadequate for a 10900K. Below is the power tables for the 10th gen lineup:
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

PL1, or Power Limit 1, is the power limit for the 10900K at it's BASE frequency - no turbo boost - which is just 3.7ghz.
PL2, is the power limit allowed for that cpu to hit it's turbo boost frequencies.
Tau is how long the cpu is allowed to run at PL2 before it is forced back to PL1.
Overclock, and you throw all 3 out the window, which will definitely require more than a 240mm AIO.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
This will work fine. If you trust Intel parts and don't care about CPU politics go with what you have listed here and add the RTX 3080ti when it hits the market.

Hello there,

any advice welcome !

thanks

Thatoli

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
CPU: While the 10900K is the fastest CPU around right now, it uses A LOT of power and at 4K there will be no difference between it and a 3700X or 3900X. That will save you money on both the CPU cost and the power & cooler cost. If you do decide to keep the 10900K you will need a 360mm AIO as the H100i is too small to cool the 10900K.

SSD: The 970 Evo/Plus are the fastest SSDs out right now, but they are a waste of money. You can get similar performance from a lot of other companies without the 25-50% Samsung task.

RAM: At this point in time 16GB would be the typical for a gaming system. Since this is a high end gaming system I would go with a 2x16GB just so I wouldn't have to add RAM later on.

Here is an example of a similar build using AMD instead.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (£404.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£105.43 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£335.78 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£133.16 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£71.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow ATX Full Tower Case (£189.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx White 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: £1370.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-11 20:20 BST+0100

You are actually getting a bit more for your money here.
Awesome suggestions am really going to consider this ssd and cpu now, I didn’t realise the downsides to the 10900. Do you think I should wait until the AMD ryzen 4000 series release ?

Awesome suggestions am really going to consider this ssd and cpu now, I didn’t realise the downsides to the 10900. Do you think I should wait until the AMD ryzen 4000 series release ?
That is the double edged sword of the Intel CPUs right now. In order to keep getting faster and compete on number of cores, power requirements have gone up quite a bit.

In terms of waiting for Ryzen 4000 that is a difficult question. Right now it is assumed it will be released in Q3 maybe Q4. That means anytime in the next few months, I'd bank on late Q3 - early Q4 so September/October time frame. Rumors are that the IPC increase will be about 15% on average and clock speeds will be similar or higher. If the 4700X clocks in a 4.5GHz boost clock with the added 15% IPC it will have ST performance around the 10900K, except it will use FAR less power.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually, no they are not. The Sabrent Rocket and Corsair MP600 are currently the fastest M2 SSDs out there, provided that you have a motherboard that takes advantage of 4th gen PCI-E speeds. Samsung does make some of the best SSDs out there and they will have a 4th gen drive relatively soon. But to say they are the fastest is definitely not true.

I do agree about the 10900K, that would not be a wise investment right now. It's basically Intel's version of the FX-9590 in terms of power requirements.

Actually, no they are not. The Sabrent Rocket and Corsair MP600 are currently the fastest M2 SSDs out there, provided that you have a motherboard that takes advantage of 4th gen PCI-E speeds. Samsung does make some of the best SSDs out there and they will have a 4th gen drive relatively soon. But to say they are the fastest is definitely not true.

I do agree about the 10900K, that would not be a wise investment right now. It's basically Intel's version of the FX-9590 in terms of power requirements.
I did forget about the PCIe 4.0 drives, should have said PCIe 3.0. That said the conclusion is still the same that there is a huge Samsung tax to get them. Usually you can get double the capacity of a buget NVMe for the same money, or spend 75% as much for a different brand that is as fast.

g-unit1111

Titan
I did forget about the PCIe 4.0 drives, should have said PCIe 3.0. That said the conclusion is still the same that there is a huge Samsung tax to get them. Usually you can get double the capacity of a buget NVMe for the same money, or spend 75% as much for a different brand that is as fast.

Yeah you generally do pay for the Samsung name. I'll be interested to see what their 4th gen offerings bring, but right now, Sabrent and Corsair are the fastest drives on the market. I also hear good things about the Gigabyte drives.

Thatoli

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012

Thanks for the feedback mate !, what are your thoughts on switching the MOBO out for a Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard to save some money ?

For 4K gaming, as previously stated, you don't need the most expensive cpu available, waste of money other than to say I have one as well as the expense of high end cooling.

For NVMe drives, you will not see a difference between a 4.0 and a 3.0, I have both in my Ryzen build. All you need are 3.0's unless the 4.0's are the same price point.

Last edited: