New Gaming Build

cdepappe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Just put together a new gaming build as seen here :
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cdepappe/saved/bRdgXL

Everything seems to be running fine so far, also have the CPU running at 4.5 thanks to the awesome ASUS TPU settings. Just wondering if there are any small essentials that people normally do when setting up their gaming build to just optimize for gaming? Also would be interested in seeing what kind of FPS people get with similar builds on whatever games you play :)

Solution

I would be very careful with the auto overclockers, I have seen a few of them bring a PC down, so of them beyond recovery. Luckily most Intel, Asus, EVGA, and MSI back their products with...

cdepappe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

So I guess there's no major secrets after all :p Got all my drivers loaded, Ran the nice Asus Auto Overclocker that my mobo has, which also had a stress test built in. And have been testing some games while watching my temps and all seems well :) 250-300 fps on league, and about 150 in most areas on WoW with about 70 in places that used to give me 40 and below! Suppose that seems about right for my specs

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

I would be very careful with the auto overclockers, I have seen a few of them bring a PC down, so of them beyond recovery. Luckily most Intel, Asus, EVGA, and MSI back their products with warranties under overclocking with 'normal' scenarios.

Solution

cdepappe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Good to know! Thanks. I did the Asus Overclock that the MOBO I have supports, but after getting 1 blue screen I kind of got a bit worried, So I have just been running it on the "Auto" setting as opposed to the "Turbo" which is the setting that controls the OC. No issues since then and all my games seem to have just as good FPS as they did with the turbo. so no big deal there. I guess with my build there is really no need for OC other than for show.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

Generally that is correct, Graphics cards can easily be overclocked to improve gaming performance and generally offer the most improvement. However it really is not necessary unless your running modern games on an older card and just need a tiny bit more juice to run smoothly.