New gaming desktop continually freezing- solutions?

Brandon R

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Hello. Last thursday, my new gaming desktop from Amazon arrived, and I set it up. Right away I began having problems with it continually freezing. Here is a link to the Amazon page for it. I bought the 12 GB Ram model:
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-X315-Gaming-Desktop-90B00000US/dp/B00MCJQERU%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAICE7LOAJMK3SSLPA%26tag%3Dpcm_rounduptable-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00MCJQERU

It runs Windows 8.1, and from reviews, it should be running everything fine. I only have 2 games installed on it, but I do plan to be gaming on it. They are Guild Wars 2, and Steam; of which I have tf2, DOTA 2, AdVenture Capitalist (it is a game, not adware), and Magicka: Wizard Wars.

It will freeze continually at random points, sometimes minutes after startup, other times it won't freeze for a good hour and a half. It is blazing fast startup, so I don't believe it could.

I am using an Acer 27" HD LED monitor, of which the reviews were VERY positive, all saying it was amazing for the price. Link found here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-27-led-hd-monitor-black/4753004.p?id=1219103680327&skuId=4753004&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4753004&extensionType=pla_multichannel:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!91140902239!g!!58550538199&kpid=4753004&k_clickid=d98fa875-4609-47bc-9bbf-c5e398c48fb1&kpid=4753004&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=d98fa875-4609-47bc-9bbf-c5e398c48fb1&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg6560&ksdevice=c

Other things to note:

- I am running same account for the desktop as for my laptop for windows 8.1, but I don't think that should be a problem, mostly because i have ANOTHER laptop that has a broken screen that is still logged in with the same microsoft/windows account.

- Last night I unplugged both VGA cables (white and blue) because it seemed to be fine just running with the HDMI. I was online for 20 minutes afterwards, and it seemed to run fine. Initially I had all 3 plugged in, but now I think it might be that too much information was being sent at once from desktop to monitor. I have yet to see it freeze, but once again it freezes randomly. I'll update tonight on if it freezes again or not.

- I am currently writing this on my laptop, and not my desktop because I am away from home, therefore I cannot give much more information (MSinfo and what not) besides the store page listed above.

- I have not tried anything with overclocking or anything like that to optimize because the games were/still run the smoothest I have ever seen, and there was a specific review on the desktop that said it ran DOTA 2 perfectly smooth without any need for attempts at overclocking

- I am using the stock keyboard and mouse, however I purchased a gaming keyboard and mouse that was on sale along with the desktop, which were a nice combo. Once again very good reviews. I don't know if this will help anyone, but thought I'd give as much info as I can.

- I have yet to purchase the proper ethernet cable that will link the wireless modem to my desktop. The desktop is upstairs in my office-space/ bedroom, and there is an available ethernet port in the wall, I just have yet to go to office depot or Best Buy in order to purchase it and plug it in. Another thing I thought I'd let you all know.

Please, if someone can help me. The freezes, as stated before, occur completely out of random, and it has happened while both in game and not in a game or steam or guild wars. I appreciate any and all help I can receive from the community. I have not done anything with the desktop itself besides plugging it in. I can't recall dropping it or anything while setting it up. Good news is that I purchased a 3 year warranty, so if I do confirm something happened during shipping that is causing it to freeze up like this (I hope it is not), I should be able to send it back in for a new one under warranty.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll be posting MSinfo and the like tonight when I get the opportunity.

Supremenyan

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
My plan for you is to figure out the part that could be faulty. Such as taking out the graphics card and starting the pc with the on board graphics. And if that doesn't show something then re-install all drivers for your graphics card and processor. And if that doesn't solve it then there is a problem with your hardware for sure.

Brandon R

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

Would you please remind me how? I can't find any steps online how, and it's been quite a long time since I re-installed a graphics driver, especially for this kind of desktop. Thank you!

Brandon R

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

I updated graphics driver to what AMD recommended for my computer. Did not work.
Uninstalled and reinstalled VG drivers. Did not work.

I haven't put much in via files or anything like that. Think I'm going to try resetting my desktop, see if it was some of the initial setup files that became corrupted.

Supremenyan

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

you are plugging them into the graphics card correct?