New Gaming Laptop vs Old Gaming Desktop in terms of Preformance

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hello,

I want to buy a gaming laptop to replace my desktop one , just wanted to ask what is the performance I'm getting with it compared to my old gaming desktop, and if its worth it...

Desktop Specs:
Asus P9Z68-V Pro
i7 2600k not OCed
Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866Mhz
480GB SSD

Laptop Specs:
Lenovo Legion Y540-17IRH 81Q40062IV
i7-9750H
Geforce RTX 2060, 6GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
1TB M.2 2280 SSD PCIe NVMe
17.3 Inch Screen IPS 144Hz Refresh

Thanks

Personally I believe that you will always see thermal issues with laptops and hence throttling.
I agree, I’m not a fan of gaming laptops as they run hot, loud, aren’t very portable due to being either heavy and/or poor battery performance, have reduced performance and cost a bomb. You’d be better off upgrading your current system and getting a cheaper laptop for on the go computing.

I agree, I’m not a fan of gaming laptops as they run hot, loud, aren’t very portable due to being either heavy and/or poor battery performance, have reduced performance and cost a bomb. You’d be better off upgrading your current system and getting a cheaper laptop for on the go computing.
or.... google's streaming service thing?

or.... google's streaming service thing?
I would say game streaming is a bad idea and always has been. It requires an absurd internet speed for higher quality and it has the issue of latency. I tried to play Arkham City on PlayStation streaming platform on a 40mb down 20 up connection and it felt extremely laggy. I don't see how you can get an input from a controller, through a cable to a server, process through a hardware box then send it back whilst streaming 1080p game. I mean online gaming takes less than half the time to register an input and you're looking at nearly 50-100ms on a wireless connection and you're not streaming the game there just essentially maths for the game to know what is where and doing what.

christopher.john.sr

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
Question: Unless you REALLY need the space, what is your logic for replacing a gaming desktop with a laptop?

In other words, why not funnel the laptop money into a new parts for the desktop?

Laptops have an inherently higher risk of damage and a lower overall lifespan. And (in my opinion) the video card, the CPU, and the display make your gaming foundation. None of these parts are interchangeable on a laptop.