[SOLVED] New gaming PC; GPU fans not spinning

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
I just built a new gaming PC with an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super from EVGA and the fans are not spinning. Mind you, this is at idle and I wanted to test one of the few games I have downloaded which is "Human Fall Flat" so I loaded it up for a couple mins and it still wasn't spinning. I'm afraid to test it on more demanding games because if it's in fact something I need to download or configure to make them spin, I don't want to kill the card by making it overheat while testing it.

Is this normal that an RTX 2070 wouldn't be always spinning when the PC is on? My old GTX 760 always spins I'm pretty sure.

Solution
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I'm not sure, how would I best monitor temperatures? I'm downloading EVGA Precision X1 now... Would MSI Afterburner be better?
Almost all new cards today have 0 decibel fans. Yes, that's a good thing. Quieter for everyday usage considering GPUs are safe at wayy above 60C.
Run Furmark. The temps will reach their max (still safe) in a short while. The fan(s) should come on around 60C.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I'm not sure, how would I best monitor temperatures? I'm downloading EVGA Precision X1 now... Would MSI Afterburner be better?
Almost all new cards today have 0 decibel fans. Yes, that's a good thing. Quieter for everyday usage considering GPUs are safe at wayy above 60C.
Run Furmark. The temps will reach their max (still safe) in a short while. The fan(s) should come on around 60C.

Reactions: monere
Solution

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
My GPU according to Precision X1 is hovering around 41C. The fans come on when I turn the PC on though I noticed.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
by default most nvidia or depending on which brand (asus,msi,gigabyte,evga etc.) have a set default profile setting for the fans, usually it will only start spinning when you reach around ~60c. at idle my gpu sits at around 30c-45c and the fans are off. its a good thing since it helps make the system eat a little bit less power and makes a quieter operation on light workloads and also probably help make the fans live longer.

MSI afterburner has riva tuner along with it which helps you check out temps/gpu&cpu usage and so on.

you could also use Hwinfo64 (sensors only) minimize it and check temps after you game or use heavy workloads.

Reactions: MrCanEHdian

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
by default most nvidia or depending on which brand (asus,msi,gigabyte,evga etc.) have a set default profile setting for the fans, usually it will only start spinning when you reach around ~60c. at idle my gpu sits at around 30c-45c and the fans are off. its a good thing since it helps make the system eat a little bit less power and makes a quieter operation on light workloads and also probably help make the fans live longer.

MSI afterburner has riva tuner along with it which helps you check out temps/gpu&cpu usage and so on.

you could also use Hwinfo64 (sensors only) minimize it and check temps after you game or use heavy workloads.
Thank you, I'll check that out! That sounds awesome!