New gaming PC, need advice

anonyboy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I'll be building a new PC pretty soon. My current rig can barely muster 20-30 frames in the latest games (Just Cause 3 is just a slideshow!). I'm also into doing a little streaming and video editing. I will likely pick up a VR headset next year.

Here's my build (in Canadian dollars)
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/h7Fmbv

I'll be keeping the 2 HDDs from my current rig and I got a Define R5 case for Christmas.

I'll only be using it in 1080p. I use a 42" TV as my monitor. 60 fps max is more than good enough for me. I may pick up a real computer monitor in a year or so. VR will probably be biggest push on this system.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the power supply! I just used a PSU calculator that suggest ~520w. It suggested 120-130w on the 3.3v and 5v rails though, depending on how many HDDs and USB devices I use. I could be using up to 4 HDDs at some point and Oculus Rift si reported to use 3 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port. Is this a cause for concern or do I not have to worry about these minor rail maximums?

Buying into Haswell now is a bad idea. Its already been replaced and there will be no future upgrades .

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.22 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($194.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($83.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($178.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($644.73 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1503.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-29 17:03 EST-0500

The 2 x 4 gig of RAM is enough for now .

anonyboy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

the 6500 doesn't overclock though does it?

Yes it does . The multiplier is locked but if you search online you can find plenty of articles about how to OC using the BCLK [ which is how we all used to do it before there were ever unlocked processors]

anonyboy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

I've looked into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrfTcXQlsbs
This video from Digital Foundry on December 24th says I would need a MSI, SuperMicro, or Asrock board, or another brand that promises unlocked base clock support. I would also be overclocking the memory by doing this method. Does this Gigabyte board you suggest have a bios that allows for this?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9848/bclk-overclocking-intels-non-k-skylake-processors-coming-soon
This article from Anandtech from December 11th has this to say
Despite this, our best efforts to overclock non-K processors in-house (we have an i5-6500 for review at some point) are limited to a few MHz – the 103/104 MHz boundary has been tough to penetrate if possible at all.

They have reason to believe this BCLK overclock is possible on some Supermicro and ASRock boards with the help of a BIOS update, but there's no word on Gigabyte offering this.

Asrock and Biostar already have rolled out the required BIOS . maybe others too

No doubt other board makers will follow in the next few days/weeks . If they dont they wont sell many boards .
If you have any doubts then swap in any Asrock Z170 motherboard

The anandtech quote applies to previous generation socket 1150 [and prior] processors . Skylake does not have this limitation . The anandtech article mentiions reports of a BCLK 152.8 Mhz of a locked skylake i3 . That is a 52.8% increase in speed