Question New gaming PC randomly quits applications

Apr 15, 2023
Hi there,

I've purchased this gaming PC in december 2022. Since then I've been having issues and have been going back to the computer shop.

Last week they took the PC in for testing and after 7 days I went back to pick it up. They figured out the problem they said, but once I arrived home it still persists.

The problem:
The computer works fine untill randomly applications close. No error or crash notification, the application just closes and I returns to the desktop screen.

I have experienced the problem with all the games I run and as far I can tell all applications on this computer will shut down after 1 to 600 minutes, it really depends.
The applications can be relatively new (Total war: Warhammer 3 2022 or Total War: Rome 2 2013)

According tot the PC repair shop my water cooling got loose and they fixed it. But the games keep crashing.

My build:
Intel core i9 13900K 4.3GHZ 24 cores
Z790 Pro Gaming + Wifi
Pure Loop Watercooling AIO 240
DDR5 32GB Ram
PCI-E 4.0 SSD 1TB
Nvidia Geforce RTX 4080 Gaming Trio
Be Quiet SP 11 Platinum 1200 Watt
Windows 11 Pro

I'm not sure if this is related, but someone suggested to me there is an issue with my ports and this could be related. My computer mouse and keyboard also occasionally disconnect. It used to happen really frequently and it's supposed to be caused by USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports. I did not have enough USB 3.0 ports and the accessories have RGB in it, so as suggested by the computer shop I bought a separate USB hub with it's own power supply.

Before my trip to the computer shop it did not work properly and I kept connecting my keyboard directly into the pc and my mouse to the USB hub, this worked fine. After returning my PC from the shop, I was able to use the keyboard & mouse for 3 days using the USB hub and the PC also did not crash. Today on day 4, the keyboard disconnects again occasionally and applications crash as before.

My keyboard (Steelseries Apex 5) or mouse (Steelseries Rival 3)

I would really appreciate your advice on troubleshooting the issue. I'm losing confidence in the repair shop as it seems they are running out of idea's and we haven't made progress yet.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

According tot the PC repair shop my water cooling got loose and they fixed it.
You forgot to mention what the watercooler is in your build.

My computer mouse and keyboard also occasionally disconnect.
Did you install the OS on the platform or did the store you purchased it from install it for you?

Today on day 4, the keyboard disconnects again occasionally and applications crash as before.
Do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case and your bare feet are making contact with a tiled(non-wooden, non-carpeted) floor?

Why would you need an USB hub when you have a number of USB ports on the case's front panel and the rear of the case?

Apr 15, 2023
Hi @Lutfij,

Just updated the original post my watercooling is Pure Loop Watercooling AIO 240.

The OS was installed by the shop in december and before returning the computer I did a complete reinstall of Windows and deleted all personal files.

On this clean reset I did not make any changes, driver updates,.. Just installed steam and 2 games to test before handing it over to the shop.

The shop told me some ports are USB 2.0 and others are 3.0. All of my accessories have RGB (mouse mat, mouse and keyboard, all wired) and the shop told me they all need USB 3.0 as they all require power - > bought the hub for additional usb3.0 and a separate power source.

I have not felt the tingling sensation but I will do a test laster today (not at home now).

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Will update in 6 hours

Lutfij

Titan
I did a complete reinstall of Windows and deleted all personal files.
Format + reinstall? Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Your shop might be wasting your and their times...perhaps even causing you to buy something that was unnecessary. The ports on the back of your motherboard(rear I/O ports) will be more than sufficient.

Apr 15, 2023
I chose the option to download it from cloud - I did the factory reset in the Windows settings.

Also tested the tingeling and not noticing anything special.

Yeah the shop is a one person shop, hes friendly but I dont believe he is experienced with gaming rigs. The shop is a little outdated and all his other customers seem old, his inventory also seems more low and mid range computer gear.

Apr 15, 2023
Hi Lutfij,

Wanted to provide an update:
Returned the computer to the store for further testing. I've been receiving daily updates and so far they did not find any major error.

They also said they will replace the Z790 prime with a Z790 TUF gaming motherboard, so I hope it is indeed the motherboard. I made the suggestion after your feedback and seems like he jumped on it to contact ASUS.