Question New gaming PC with the 3070

Oct 6, 2020
Hello everyone. My poor old GTX 770 seems to have finally kicked the bucket today, which makes me think its about time to upgrade and get a new PC.
I learned a long time ago to read the advice of people on this forum, but i actually see very few advice on what a rig with the new upcoming 3070 should look like.
I guess it makes sense since its not out yet...

Anyway! Any and all advice on what a new rig using the RTX 3070 should look like is greatly appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: end of October? Whenever the 3070 becomes available

Budget Range: I'm thinking something like 1500 euro / 1750 dollars. Great if it can go below that, isnt drama if it goes above.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I mean its used for a lot, but for the purposes of this thread lets focus on gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade:
Pretty much everything except for the screen and power supply. Hard drives have been acting up for a while now too.
If i'm reading right my 650W should be fine.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: doesnt really matter, i'm mostly looking for the optimal build here.

Parts Preferences: If its more or less the same price/performance, i prefer Intel and Nvidia over AMD and Radeon, but its not set in stone at all. Just better experiences. But if you have a better suggestion from "the other side" by all means!

Overclocking: Maybe. I dont mind doing it, but i mostly did it on my secondary PC.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution:
(1920x1200 )

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Time to get out of the stone age again!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Parts to Upgrade: Pretty much everything except for the screen and power supply. Hard drives have been acting up for a while now too.
If i'm reading right my 650W should be fine.
What PSU do you have, specifically? In theory, ~650W should suffice.... but
  1. We'll need to wait for reviews to confirm power draw with 100% certainty
  2. The wattage on the sticker isn't everything. Quality matters.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: I mean its used for a lot, but for the purposes of this thread lets focus on gaming.

Your Monitor Resolution: (1920x1200 )

At 1080p, Intel is probably the route you'd want to go.

I'm not too familiar with Croatia sites to validate pricing, but I'd suspect you could look at something along the lines of:

i9-10900K / 10850K ~400EUR
2x8GB 3200MHz+ ~60EUR
Decent Z490 ~150EUR
1TB NVME SSD ~150EUR
3070 ~450 EUR
Case ~100EUR
Quality PSU ~100EUR

~1400EUR
Budget Range: I'm thinking something like 1500 euro / 1750 dollars. Great if it can go below that, isnt drama if it goes above.

Aus-ling

Distinguished
May 10, 2015
A 3080 is at $1800 nzd. Which is equivalent of 1009.29 euro. So you should ve well under your budget. Also you could put that to a new monitor to really benefit the card. As I stated an 3080 is 1009.29 euro so a 3070 will be well below it.
I have an asus pg279q at 165hz on 1440p and cant wait to get a 3070 to give the monotor the fps it deserves.
GL with your purchase!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 3080 is at $1800 nzd. Which is equivalent of 1009.29 euro.

Neither of which is particularly relevant?
A 3080 is a $699 USD, MSRP - Regional pricing will vary, but should be somewhat related (+/-)

The 3080's appear to have limited retailers in AU/NZ driving even the 'retail' cost up beyond the limited stock situation.

AFAIK, Europe doesn't have the same issue. So a 3080 in Europe should be roughly the same price as the USD, closer to 600-700 EUR, not 1000EUR.

The 3070 should proportionate ($499 USD MSRP = 425EUR, so 400-500EUR range)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh wow! So my local prices are even higher! So is it probably worth buying though amazon and paying an import fee..

Potentially. AUS/NZ won't always be 1:1 straight conversion with USD, understandably (heck I don't even see 1:1 in Canada), but if retail prices are $1800NZD and not just driven up due to supply/demand currently, then purchase + shipping might be a route to go.

Wait for supply to normalize though, even for 3070s. You might find prices are just skewed due to supply/demand and that's not where they'll land for the long haul.

Oct 6, 2020
What PSU do you have, specifically? In theory, ~650W should suffice.... but
  1. We'll need to wait for reviews to confirm power draw with 100% certainty
  2. The wattage on the sticker isn't everything. Quality matters.
At 1080p, Intel is probably the route you'd want to go.

I'm not too familiar with Croatia sites to validate pricing, but I'd suspect you could look at something along the lines of:

i9-10900K / 10850K ~400EUR
2x8GB 3200MHz+ ~60EUR
Decent Z490 ~150EUR
1TB NVME SSD ~150EUR
3070 ~450 EUR
Case ~100EUR
Quality PSU ~100EUR

~1400EUR

Hi Barty.

First of all thanks for the advice.

My PSU is a Corsair VS650.

As far as prices go in Croatia they're a bit weird tbh. Higher than yours for sure, but obviously not quite as high as New Zealand :D.
CPU is like 50% above of what you said, MBO is the same as yours, Memory is more expensive but not quite as much.

Thats part of the reason why i said the price isnt really fixed because i'll have to adapt one way or the other :).

Any alternatives you can think off?
Anything that I should consider even though it might increase the cost or something thats almost as good but lowers the price?
f.e. is the K version of the CPU really worth it? Its quite a big price difference for what doesnt seem quite as high a performance difference on the benchmarks. At least on the first view.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Do you have any sites you could link to, so we could take a look at prices? Really hard to judge without knowing the local market.

K versions biggest benefit is overclocking, but they do tend to have a higher base/boost clock speed vs their 'non-K' counterparts.

Non-K are better paired with non-Z chipsets, but then you're limited to 2666MHz RAM speed..

Oct 6, 2020
Dont think you'll find them very useful, but sure, why not.