New Genius Mouse Has a Windows 8 Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Windows 8 (pre 8.1 and 8.1 update) worked perfectly fine without a touchscreen or special device. It still does. It takes a special kind of potato brain to not learn the minor GUI changes in under 20ms and a potato-grade brain at maximum 5 seconds to learn the new GUI with a mouse.

Who then are these devices for? Vegetables who want to visit OK Cupid?

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Zepid, I agree, Windows 8 was mildly annoying; then I got used to it and that was that. It's still not optimum, but I have no problem getting everything done with it. It's amazing that so many people who consider themselves techies have a problem with it. Makes me worry about the future of techies.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
It uses an IR sensor? So you need line of sight? Not sure how common that is for mice, but the one wireless mouse I have is RF, which seems a lot more reliable than IR.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

It's in the quote you posted, an infrared sensor is an IR sensor. But yeah, since it says 2.4 Ghz, that must mean RF.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
It uses an IR sensor? So you need line of sight? Not sure how common that is for mice, but the one wireless mouse I have is RF, which seems a lot more reliable than IR.
Not all IR requires line of sight there is a type of IR called diffused IR.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Windows 8 (pre 8.1 and 8.1 update) worked perfectly fine without a touchscreen or special device. It still does. It takes a special kind of potato brain to not learn the minor GUI changes in under 20ms and a potato-grade brain at maximum 5 seconds to learn the new GUI with a mouse.

Who then are these devices for? Vegetables who want to visit OK Cupid?
The problem is not with using the new interface, the problem is that it's jarring as hell to be brought to a whole new screen when you hit the start button. That and why call it windows if the new feature that you are trying to implement try's to get rid of windows. At least give users the option of windowing the apps. And that's the main problem. The two biggest complaints with the OS could have been implemented in under a week by a team of developers, but Microsoft had to make an ass of itself. But, in usual Microsoft fashion, they're taking back those decisions at least in part, so have to give them credit for that.

TL;DR: Give users a choice.

netmind

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Zepid, I agree, Windows 8 was mildly annoying; then I got used to it and that was that.
Its kinda interesting idea to pay for OS some bucks to have ... some inconvenience and buy some silly mouse to try to fix these. MS has gone mad IMO. So yes, it stinks. I moved to Ubuntu and I do not need special mouse now :).

It's in the quote you posted, an infrared sensor is an IR sensor. But yeah, since it says 2.4 Ghz, that must mean RF.
You've messed up wireless interface and surface sensor. IR surface sensors tend to consume less power than those using visible light (usually red). Yet it haves nothing to do with data exchange interface, which is 2.4GHz wireless.

The problem is not with using the new interface, the problem is that it's jarring as hell to be brought to a whole new screen when you hit the start button. That and why call it windows if the new feature that you are trying to implement try's to get rid of windows.

Jarring? No more so than Alt-Tabbing between programs, and I doubt you or any other detractor ever complained then. If you have issues with Windows 8 Start Screen, they are psychological ones from attachment to an archaic and broken concept called a start menu.

As for "Windows", did you know Windows 1.0 didn't have windows? In fact, Windows 8's WinRT applications act almost identically to the original Windows 1.0 method, where you can tile but not overlap. Windows 7 brought back Windows 1.0's icon task bar, and 8 did away with the start menu to bring windows back to it's roots. If anything, Windows 8 IS THE MOST "Windows"-y OS SINCE THE ORIGINAL RELEASE!

dkino14

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
the main point of the article is not to discuss windows 8 sucking or not, it is to discuss the mouse. the comments concerning the mouse itself are hence relevant while the comments bickering about windows 8 sucking or not are therefore irrelevant.

Manolis T

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

Indeed but Windows 8 is regarded a failed OS and then people see new windows 8 modes for mice what dd you expect?!

Status
Not open for further replies.