Question New Gigibyte 3080 OC Not Receiving Power and Shuts Down - Need help!

freakinhobo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2015
I just purchased a new Gigabyte 3080 OC for my wife's computer to upgrade from her 970.. Thought it would be an easy install and of course it isn't. I swapped it out with the 970 and got a no signal from the monitor. Tried different ports in the back of the card and nothing. Then I noticed the fans were not spinning and am assuming its not powered... except that the card does light up. I tried a different PCI slot and it started booting up and got a signal on my monitor (Z490 MEG screen) then it seems as if the card shuts down again and I get no signal. Sometimes it gives me the initial boot screen and sometimes goes straight to no signal. Now the computer stays on .. just the card seems to shut down or doesn't power up.

EVGA Supernova 1000w 80 Plus Gold PSU (1 month old)
MSI MEG Z490 ACE Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM
Intel I9 10850K

Am I missing something??

freakinhobo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2015
Nope... same issue.. no signal. It starts up.. fans spin.. then stop and no signal.

Ok actually it's "working". I switched HDMI ports after updating the BIOS and I have a display now. But its flashing with colors and looks terrible.. Im hoping that's a driver issue as I only had the 970 before.. Also the fans are not spinning.. do they spin constantly?

Last edited:

freakinhobo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2015
Well it's not the GPU/Computer I don't think. I was trying to hook it up to a 48" LG C2 and was having issue after issue. Went back to a standard monitor and it seems fine.. how exactly do I make the 3080 and LG C2 talk and work properly??

freakinhobo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2015
try different cables
I actually got it to work.. I was plugging it into the wrong HDMI ports and there is one on the back specific for 4k/120hz. So looks like most of the issues are fixed.. issue is now I cant select anything more than 1080 in games or 2k on the desktop. 4K isn't even an option... drivers and everything is updated.

I actually got it to work.. I was plugging it into the wrong HDMI ports and there is one on the back specific for 4k/120hz. So looks like most of the issues are fixed.. issue is now I cant select anything more than 1080 in games or 2k on the desktop. 4K isn't even an option... drivers and everything is updated.
have you tried changing the resolution in the driver itself? Nvidia control panel "resolution"