Question New GPU and PC keeps freezing under load, anyone know how to fix?

May 26, 2024
I recently just got a RTX 4060 ti 16gb. I previously had used an RTX 2060. My other specs are i5-12600k, 16gb ddr4 3200mhz, 600 watt psu. The psu is the one included with the nzxt h1 v1. First thing I did after installing and booting up was to install drivers. Once I had done that I tried to play a Destiny 2. Upon opening the game my whole PC had frozen and all I could do was hold the power button to shut down. I also had wallpaper engine running in the background. I believed that was the reason why it had crashed immediately. I found that it had maxed out my settings after changing to a new GPU. I lowered them and did the same on Destiny.

I ran multiple tests to see the issue. It froze much quicker when the two were open at the same time but would crash regardless if wallpaper engine was open or closed. Before lowering my settings my gpu would be at 30% usage while idle, and after it would be 10 or less. Now after making the changes it would still crash when in game, reaching 25 percentage usage and a maximum temp of 67 degrees. Another test I had tried to run was to limit the amount of power my GPU was consuming with MSI Afterburner. So I changed it from 100% to 70%. The issue still persisted.

I let it sit for an hour shut down since making this post. I turned on the computer and launched D2 as if everything was normal just to see one last time before going to bed. This time I was able to get into an actual game without it freezing, however 30 seconds into the game the colors shifted to red, yellow, and black, with lots of artifacting, the sound of the game messing up, and the computer freezing. However this time the PC restarted itself without me doing anything. I then tried to play again but it froze like it was earlier, while I was in the loading screen. Not sure if this helps but it is an observation.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024
I'm having similar issues with a different problem, Installed a new SSD 1 day ago and the freeze +black screen is happening on intensive games.

POSSIBILITY 1 . after changing the GPUs something got shifted and a little loose inside.
Re-seat your GPU carefully.

POSSIBILITY 2. Old Drivers Conflict.
I'm using a Freeware DDU, Display Driver Unnistaller to make sure to complete remove old GPU drivers
before Installing the new ones.

Make sure to
make a computer restore point.
Have your Driver installer software already downloaded.
Turn -off Internet to make sure Windows Update won't install a crappy generic driver when you uninstall yours.
Restart Pc in safe mode.
proceed with GPU driver install,
restart again.

pick the option you think are more likely to try first,
since you already checked overheating and power usage.. I can't think of anything else, unless some option in windows power plan control is forcefully starving your gpu of power

check windows energy controls too.

May 26, 2024
I haven’t reseated my GPU yet, but I did the second option. I thought it worked as my computer lasted a lot longer before freezing but it did eventually freeze.

May 26, 2024
Don't know if you found a solution yet but
I just saw on the Last Windows updates list on my PC , there was a Anti-virus definition update for windows on day May 25 2024,

try to remove / re add Destiny 2 to the list of windows anti virus exceptions maybe that helps

May 26, 2024
It’s not just destiny, it freezes under any kind of load on the GPU including a simple YouTube video, also I doubt that would cause my entire PC to freeze completely. Thanks for the idea though

psu is the one included with the nzxt h1 v1
you'll need to find out the exact model included
or at least include a link to the combo you purchased.
16gb ddr4 3200mhz
a single 16GB stick,
a 2x 8GB kit,
mixed sticks..?

include the make & model
it freezes under any kind of load on the GPU including a simple YouTube video
you can attempt to run with just the iGPU and see if these types of issues continue.

May 26, 2024
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)? Especially the PSU.

Details matter.
I exchanged the GPU for another one today with the same issue.

CPU: Intel i5-12600k
MB: Asrock B660M-ITX/ac
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3200MHz
Original GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6GB
Previous (Returned) GPU : ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Current (Installed) GPU: PNY NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti XLR8 Gaming Verto Overclocked Dual Fan 16GB

PSU/Case/Cooler:
The power supply is included with the NZXT H1. The case cooler and psu are all sold together. Specifically the v1. The only information that is given and that I can find is that it includes a a 650W SFX-L 80 PLUS Gold modular power supply. You can see the PSU here, but there is not much to see or much information about it at all. The PSU is made by NZXT, has an SFX-L form factor, is rated 80+ Gold, and can supply 650W. That is all I can find online or anywhere.

What I do not understand is why I am having issues with this, when others have much beefier cards with the same power supply that I am running.

Also note, all of these parts are 2 year old at most.

May 26, 2024
you'll need to find out the exact model included
or at least include a link to the combo you purchased.

a single 16GB stick,
a 2x 8GB kit,
mixed sticks..?

include the make & model

you can attempt to run with just the iGPU and see if these types of issues continue.
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3200MHz

This is not a combo, the NZXT H1 Case comes with the PSU, GPU Riser, and AIO cooler preinstalled, and is the same across every model. The only difference is that I have the NZXT H1 V1. The V2 has a different form factor, and a 750W PSU. Since I have the V1. I have a 650W SFX-L 80 PLUS Gold modular power supply. You can see the PSU here, but there is not much to see or much information about it at all. The PSU is made by NZXT, has an SFX-L form factor, is rated 80+ Gold, and can supply 650W. That is all I can find online or anywhere.

It does not encounter any issues with just the iGPU.

Here is a link for the H1 V1: Here. Only difference is that mine is white not black.

May 26, 2024
Your problem reads very much like a power issue, that is why the information was asked for.

While the PSU you have, on paper, should suffice. It may have an issue and need replacement.
I see, why would it differ between my 2060 and 4060ti?, they have similar power draw and my PC had been working fine the night before. I'm just trying to understand why this is happening.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I see, why would it differ between my 2060 and 4060ti?, they have similar power draw and my PC had been working fine the night before. I'm just trying to understand why this is happening.
Slight differences can often appear when upgrading. Could be as simple as a poor connection via the PCIe cable(s). It could also be component degradation. PSUs can, and do, degrade over time.

May 26, 2024
Slight differences can often appear when upgrading. Could be as simple as a poor connection via the PCIe cable(s). It could also be component degradation. PSUs can, and do, degrade over time.
Should I try swapping out the cable that goes from the PSU to the GPU? It seems strange that this could happen overnight.

May 26, 2024
I am also noticing that simple tasks cause my computer to stutter. For example, I opened chrome and both monitors went black for 10 seconds before turning back on and opening chrome. Or the PC would freeze for a few seconds after opening the start menu. Or even when booting up the spinning dots would freeze for a moment

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am also noticing that simple tasks cause my computer to stutter. For example, I opened chrome and both monitors went black for 10 seconds before turning back on and opening chrome. Or the PC would freeze for a few seconds after opening the start menu. Or even when booting up the spinning dots would freeze for a moment
All this happens only when the GPU is installed and in use, but not when using just the iGPU?

If you haven't already try forcing the motherboard to run the slot in PCIe 3.0 mode and if that works it's your riser cable (if it is you should probably consider getting a new one, or depending on pricing getting a 4070 instead as it's x16 instead of x8 PCIe lanes).

Last edited:
May 26, 2024
If you haven't already try forcing the motherboard to run the slot in PCIe 3.0 mode and if that works it's your riser cable (if it is you should probably consider getting a new one, or depending on pricing getting a 4070 instead as it's x16 instead of x8 PCIe lanes).
Thank you so much, this was the issue, as soon as I swapped to gen 3 there were zero issues. I’ll swap the riser out for a gen 4 and return the power supply. Didn’t even need the psu 😭

Reactions: thestryker