Question "New" GPU behaving strangely

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Hi all!

I bought myself a "new" (used) GPU today, a GTX 950. Didn't want anything too fancy, just something that I could use to have a mess around playing GTA V and hopefully help out
streaming (Using purely as a streaming PC for Xbox Series X with an Elgato)

It's been a LONG time since I used a dedicated GPU but got it fitted no problem, downloaded the drivers and all seems to be working.

I did a benchmark on Uningine (again, never used before in my life) and got a score of 1740 with an FPS of 69.1 which will mean a lot more to many of you, that it does to me haha.

I'm using an i5 4690S for my encoding at the moment. Lovely at 720p, but a lot of artifacting at 1080p after 5/10 minutes. The nvidia app auto changed the settings in OBS to use the GPU and I thought I'd do a quick recording at
1080p just to see what happened: No missed frames due to rendering lag and a HUGE amount of missed frames due to rendering lag. Dropped it down to 720p and the same thing happened. First question was, is this normal? Or
could/should I expect better recording performance than when using my processor?

Secondly, I've noticed when I scroll on Microsoft Edge, it also look like some lines "tear apart" if that makes sense. Also, if I try and play a previously recorded video, it can barely play it..,..It will play 1 or 2 seconds then freeze for 5 or 6 seconds, play a couple more, then the same again. But it is only on recorded videos, when I open YouTube it plays absolutely fine...just a bit strange.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated!

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Sorry for delayed reply, I think I've found the problem

There seems to be a problem drive that the stored videos were on (and also where OBS was recording to). It's either the drive it self or the connection but it seems to be disconnecting intermittently.

I managed to get a good connection last night and the videos played as normal, and I made a few recordings on OBS in both 720p and 1080p with 0 dropped frames.

I've got a new drive arriving today so hopefully that is the end of the problem!

Reactions: Rui Neves