New GPU: DOTA 2 crashes and BOSD, other games work fine

ZekoMuflon

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
So I recently got myself a new GPU (XFX RX 470 single fan) and have been experiencing issues with DOTA 2 ever since. Sometimes it works fine, other times it crashes to desktop (it stays down in the taskbar like it's forcefully minimized and I can also still hear the game sounds, however I can't reopen it so I have to kill the process in the task manager). In the worst cases it shows the "Blue Screen of Death" and restarts my PC. Other games I have played (The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare) work fine without any issues (except for some fps drops due to a CPU bottleneck).

System spec:

Mobo: Asrock 870 Extreme 3
CPU: Athlon II 640 X4 3.0 gHz (yes I know It's a bottleneck but I'm "paitently waiting for Zen" type of a person)
RAM: 2 x 4gb 1600mHz (not from the same manufacturer, one is about 2 years old an the other was bought 2 weeks ago along with the new GPU, in case it's important.)
GPU: XFX RX 470 Single Fan Edition
PSU: 450 Watt (not sure which manufacturer)

What i have tried:

Running DOTA 2 with different APIs (Vulkan, DX9 and DX11) the issue remained on all of them.

Rolling back AMD driver (from 16.12.2 to 16.9.1) which seemed to have fixed the issue for one day and gave me three matches of game without crashes, and then the next day, it returned. First a blue screen, then a PC restart and a Windows AND a steam Update (which seemed awfully convenient so i wondered it maybe could have something to do with that) and by the time everything updated I already received an "abandon" so I started a new round which followed with two desktop crashes. The problem remains since then. On the 16.12.2. whenever a desktop crash occurred, I would get a "profile WattMan settings have been reset" message so i rolled back to a version that didn't have a "WattMan", and now I'm not getting any kind of message when it crashes.

Monitoring my temps with MSI afterburner and they didn't seem to be an issue. My GPU was at around 60-70 celsius and my CPU was around 30-40 (which I found really weird since I'm using a stock cooler and I also thought a new GPU would push that 6+ year old CPU to it's limits.

Additional info:

My previous GPU was Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1gb edition which died on me back in the summer and then i baked it in the oven and managed to prolong it's life for until two weeks ago. The crashing issue never happened on that GPU.

All of the parts in my PC except for the RAM and the GPU are six + years old.

Both my CPU and GPU are on stock speeds, I didn't preform any kind of overclocking.

I never preformed any kind of BIOS update, since people from Asrock aren't really clear about how to do it on their website.

Any kind of help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ZekoMuflon

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

I'm using a "Exclusive Fullscreen" options and it still crashes. I have a 1680 x 1050 VGA monitor which is connected to my GPU via active displayport adapter (In case it's important).

ZekoMuflon

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

I just looked for it and it doesn't seem to be there anymore (if it ever was, I don't remember either), there are only Windowed, Borderless window and Exclusive Fullscreen.

ZekoMuflon

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Ok, I have tried running it with "use my monitor resolution" option (which defaults everything in display options) and adding a -fullscreen parameter in the launch options. Managed to play 2 matches without crashes and then on the third one, it happened again.

TRENDING THREADS