Question New GPU fan on, system not booting

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
Hi, I have a system with an MSI h61m-p23 (b3) motherboard, an i3-2100, and an RX 460, which I just bought. However, when I install the GPU, the fan spins up but the whole system won't boot. I have an adequate 400W PSU...
What could be the problem? The card has been tested in another PC and works well.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
adequate 400W PSU

Define "adequate" - if by adequate you mean, it's simply rated 400W - that doesn't mean it's adequate.
Just have to make sure it's a good quality 400W PSU first. AS rgd1101 says, what is make and model of PSU before looking at anything else?

Did you have a previous GPU? If so did you clear all previous drivers using DDU before installing new drivers for the new card?

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
Define "adequate" - if by adequate you mean, it's simply rated 400W - that doesn't mean it's adequate.
Just have to make sure it's a good quality 400W PSU first. AS rgd1101 says, what is make and model of PSU before looking at anything else?

Did you have a previous GPU? If so did you clear all previous drivers using DDU before installing new drivers for the new card?
Raidmax 400W
I know RM sucks but 400W gives it ample headroom, right?
No previous GPU, and Intel HD graphics are disabled.