Question New GPU for 1080p ?

ManThunder

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2014
Hey guys

I'm wanting to upgrade my GPU from a EVGA GTX 980 sc, I've been looking at a 4060 Ti 16GB cause that's in my price range ill be paring it with an I5 10600K as I cant afford to upgrade everything right now. I only game on 1080p and I'm looking for solid frames and longevity. My main concerns are do these 2 work well together? Am i really going to notice the 128 bit bus on 1080p? Will my motherboard support this new GPU (MSI Z490-A PRO)? I want to stick with Nvidia so I'm not interested in AMD. Thank you for your advice

Should work just fine with that CPU, in fact it would be much easier on the PSU as it does not consume nearly as much power as that 980 does.

As for 128bit bus, its not going to be a big issue for 1080p, heck even 1440p it should do fine, though 256 would have been better, but not by much.

And yes that board will work with the 4060ti.

Good Luck!

Reactions: ManThunder

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
What is your budget? The only reason is that the difference in the UK between a 4060ti and a 4070 is not that huge price wise but there is a definite performance uplift between the 2.

The card will work fine in your system.

ManThunder

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2014
What is your budget? The only reason is that the difference in the UK between a 4060ti and a 4070 is not that huge price wise but there is a definite performance uplift between the 2.

The card will work fine in your system.
Well the main reason for the 4060ti is the 16gb vram, and I’m going to be paying the card off with zip money but I still don’t want to spend too much and get bottlenecked or not get the full potential out of the card and I’m only gaming on 1080p so I don’t want to buy a card really
powerful that I don’t need to.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The raw performance is there, it's more than doubled that of the 980 so you'll notice it straight away. Compatibility as said is no issue, your board is too modern not to be, you'll still see compatible upgrades in years to come.

Regarding bus width well, in most instances 16GB vram variant does better in vram intensive games than the 8gb variant so 4060Ti can benefit with more vram though i wouldn't count on it utilising the full 16gb amount if were to ramp things up graphically before it runs out of horse power. Even if 16gb is a bit much for the card, it is still better than being restricted to only 8gb.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Actually that would be the wiser purchase long term, or even the Super. Reason being is the 4060Ti runs at 8x regardless of pcie gen. Different if it was running pcie 4 as 8x is equivalent to pcie 3 16x but since you're pcie 3 based it'd run at pcie 3 8x so won't actually get the performance you'll be paying for even if it's somewhat cheaper.

ManThunder

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2014
Actually that would be the wiser purchase long term, or even the Super. Reason being is the 4060Ti runs at 8x regardless of pcie gen. Different if it was running pcie 4 as 8x is equivalent to pcie 3 16x but since you're pcie 3 based it'd run at pcie 3 8x so won't actually get the performance you'll be paying for even if it's somewhat cheaper.
Will that not be the case for any new GPU I buy then?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Well the main reason for the 4060ti is the 16gb vram, and I’m going to be paying the card off with zip money but I still don’t want to spend too much and get bottlenecked or not get the full potential out of the card and I’m only gaming on 1080p so I don’t want to buy a card really
powerful that I don’t need to.
I get what you are saying. I always try and get the best gpu I can and I would expect in terms of performance the 4070 will last longer despite having 4gb less vram. 12gb will be more than enough at 1080p / 1440p for a while yet.

I have looked online quickly and it seems there is about $85 difference between comparative 4060ti 16gb and 4070. If that is beyond your budget then you will still be getting a decent uplift off the 4060ti but you will possibly end up upgrading again slightly sooner.

Any performance that you leave on the table you will get back when and if you upgrade the cpu in the future.

For reference I am using a 4070 super with a 9900k and the performance is really good. A newer cpu could get me some more fps in certain games but that doesn't mean I feel like I am missing out as the experience is great. I moved from a 2070 super at 1440p and it has pretty much doubled my performance across the board. No regrets at all.

I would expect that the 10600k is roughly on par with a 9900k performance wise so I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU as it is still not a bad one at all.

ManThunder

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2014
I get what you are saying. I always try and get the best gpu I can and I would expect in terms of performance the 4070 will last longer despite having 4gb less vram. 12gb will be more than enough at 1080p / 1440p for a while yet.

I have looked online quickly and it seems there is about $85 difference between comparative 4060ti 16gb and 4070. If that is beyond your budget then you will still be getting a decent uplift off the 4060ti but you will possibly end up upgrading again slightly sooner.

Any performance that you leave on the table you will get back when and if you upgrade the cpu in the future.

For reference I am using a 4070 super with a 9900k and the performance is really good. A newer cpu could get me some more fps in certain games but that doesn't mean I feel like I am missing out as the experience is great. I moved from a 2070 super at 1440p and it has pretty much doubled my performance across the board. No regrets at all.

I would expect that the 10600k is roughly on par with a 9900k performance wise so I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU as it is still not a bad one at all.
Thank you mate, this was extremely helpful

Reactions: MEMOFLEX