Question New GPU installed - freezing, black screen, Windows errors (LiveKernelEvent 117, 141, 190). Could use the help!

Jul 2, 2024
Hey all,

Not sure if this should go in the Windows section or here, if wrong please correct me!

I recently upgraded from a 3070 to a PNY 4080 Super XLR8. Unfortunately I have been dealing with system freezing, crashing, hang-ups etc when doing basic Windows tasks. It happens at random, not when gaming, which has been even more confusing.

When the issue presents, everything usually freezes and my mouse gets choppy, moves, or doesn't move. I will try to launch task manager or close folders etc but nothing will function. The screen turns black for a few seconds then Windows appears again, it is at this point where the freezing and choppiness will continue to the point of having to force a shutdown or it clears up and I can continue working. When this occurs, I am noticing that in Windows Reliability a hardware error will show. So far I have seen 117 and 141 most consistently, but also others like 190. From what I have searched, this seems to be a video card hardware or driver issue.

So far, I have tried:
Fresh Windows install on a brand new M.2
Upgraded PSU
DDU clean install of older drivers (drivers selected at random)

I thought I successfully fixed it when installing the PSU. The issue didn't happen for hours so I thought I was out of the woods until the following day I logged on and got hammered back to back with it. When this was happening I could barely reboot in safe mode but when I did I reverted to Jan 2024 drivers and the issue calmed down for a while but ended up happening randomly.

BIOS is current. My build specs are:

Asus x570 Rog Strix E-Gaming
AMD 5900X
G.Skillz Ripjaw V 3200mhz - 32gb
MSI MPG A1000g PSU

I can post the full Windows Error info if needed. Don't want to overwhelm right off the bat. After trying a few different drivers and the other stuff above I have become pretty discouraged and ready to return the card, though do want to keep it and would rather avoid risking handing it off to UPS to deliver to Amazon then get successfully processed- it is a good chunk of money to send off like that.

I would extremely grateful for any suggestions and support to troubleshoot this. Also curious if anyone else experienced this and how they resolved it, if at all. Thanks!

Hey all,

Not sure if this should go in the Windows section or here, if wrong please correct me!

I recently upgraded from a 3070 to a PNY 4080 Super XLR8. Unfortunately I have been dealing with system freezing, crashing, hang-ups etc when doing basic Windows tasks. It happens at random, not when gaming, which has been even more confusing.

When the issue presents, everything usually freezes and my mouse gets choppy, moves, or doesn't move. I will try to launch task manager or close folders etc but nothing will function. The screen turns black for a few seconds then Windows appears again, it is at this point where the freezing and choppiness will continue to the point of having to force a shutdown or it clears up and I can continue working. When this occurs, I am noticing that in Windows Reliability a hardware error will show. So far I have seen 117 and 141 most consistently, but also others like 190. From what I have searched, this seems to be a video card hardware or driver issue.

So far, I have tried:
Fresh Windows install on a brand new M.2
Upgraded PSU
DDU clean install of older drivers (drivers selected at random)

I thought I successfully fixed it when installing the PSU. The issue didn't happen for hours so I thought I was out of the woods until the following day I logged on and got hammered back to back with it. When this was happening I could barely reboot in safe mode but when I did I reverted to Jan 2024 drivers and the issue calmed down for a while but ended up happening randomly.

BIOS is current. My build specs are:

Asus x570 Rog Strix E-Gaming
AMD 5900X
G.Skillz Ripjaw V 3200mhz - 32gb
MSI MPG A1000g PSU

I can post the full Windows Error info if needed. Don't want to overwhelm right off the bat. After trying a few different drivers and the other stuff above I have become pretty discouraged and ready to return the card, though do want to keep it and would rather avoid risking handing it off to UPS to deliver to Amazon then get successfully processed- it is a good chunk of money to send off like that.

I would extremely grateful for any suggestions and support to troubleshoot this. Also curious if anyone else experienced this and how they resolved it, if at all. Thanks!

system case ?

are you using a adapter or proper 16 pin cable. ( the adapters in the box are garbage)

update your bios

also are you running windows 11 ?

make sure power plan is performance.

in windows 11

type in windows search bar

display settings> graphics > change default graphics> hardware gpu scheduling turn off.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2024
system case ?

are you using a adapter or proper 16 pin cable. ( the adapters in the box are garbage)

update your bios

also are you running windows 11 ?

make sure power plan is performance.

in windows 11

type in windows search bar

display settings> graphics > change default graphics> hardware gpu scheduling turn off.
-Lian Li Evo XL
-Proper cable, the new Nvidia 600w style (before I was using the adapter but switched to the new cable and PSU and issue remained)
-Windows 10, power plan is set to performance
-gpu scheduling was already off!
Thanks

Last edited:
Could be a ram issue aswell. Have you tried downclocking your ram to 3000MHz?
You can also try clearing cmos and/or changing/disabling your XMP profile to see if the issue still remains.

One thing that also came to mind is a potential disk issue. What storage does your pc have? SSD, HDD etc.

Run CMD as administrator and try running "chkdsk /f " and see if it returns with any problems.
If errors are found you can run the follow up command "chkdsk /r" to repair any corrupted files. If no problems are found the follow up command is useless.

EDIT: If your windows or other desired drive that you wish to check for errors is not the C: drive you must specify it in the command prompt ex. "chkdsk D: /f "

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2024
Could be a ram issue aswell. Have you tried downclocking your ram to 3000MHz?
You can also try clearing cmos and/or changing/disabling your XMP profile to see if the issue still remains.

One thing that also came to mind is a potential disk issue. What storage does your pc have? SSD, HDD etc.

Run CMD as administrator and try running "chkdsk /f " and see if it returns with any problems.
If errors are found you can run the follow up command "chkdsk /r" to repair any corrupted files. If no problems are found the follow up command is useless.

EDIT: If your windows or other desired drive that you wish to check for errors is not the C: drive you must specify it in the command prompt ex. "chkdsk D: /f "
Thanks for the response. What made me rule out everything else was that the issue is only happening with the 4080 installed. When I revert back to my 3070 the issue goes away.

I cleared CMOS and updated bios early on, which dropped my ram to 2166 for a bit. The issue was also occurring during that time, so the next time I was in BIOS I went back to 3200 (which it had been at for years prior). I will run through each individual stick of ram in case.

I also checked my disks early on, then even removed the old drives and installed one new m.2 and one new HDD, though unfortunately the issue remains. I will check my disks again though in case some.

I browsed through event log, I keep seeing the "nvlddmkm" term, says the video driver crashed and recovered. I guess this is a known issue. I've cycled pretty far back on drivers, the issue gets a little worse or a little less worse with each one but never entirely goes away.

TRENDING THREADS