Question New GPU isn't work in my system - monitor shows 'no signal'

Sep 15, 2024
Hi all,
So am replacing my system and got everything except the GPU together about a month ago and everything has worked perfectly so far with my old GPU and new components.
But when I got a new GPU - XFX RX 7900 GRE and connect it to my system the fans turn on but my monitor shows no signal

For context this is my setup:
Motherboard: MSI B650M Gaming WIFI
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
PSU: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W
Old GPU: Palit RTX 2060 Super
RAM: 32GB DDR5 Trident z5 Neo
Storage: 512GB m.2

So the strange part about this problem is that the GPU works in 2 other systems (both were am4 though, not sure if that matters) - so the card is not faulty.
I've tested my current setup with my 2060 and I was also able to test with another 3080 (I though maybe the increased power might make a difference since the 2060 only uses an 8 pin and not two 8 pins) but both work just perfectly - so my motherboard should be fine as well. I also uninstalled all drivers with DDU so although both these are Nvidia cards it shouldn't be a driver issue.

Some other troubleshooting I've done is resetting the BIOS by removing my CMOS battery and when that didn't work I then updated my BIOS to the latest stable version.
I tried all the BIOS settings I can think of - like prioritizing the GPU over internal graphics, disabling EXPO and the like.
I tried a different power supply, and only using 1 stick of RAM.
As I've said everything works with my old GPU so I'm using that for now and all my peripherals and cables are working.

I suspect its some or other configuration in BIOS or somewhere else to be the issue or somehow my motherboard just doesn't like my GPU.
But honestly I'm at a loss at this point
Any help would be appreciated, so thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Some other troubleshooting I've done is resetting the BIOS by removing my CMOS battery and when that didn't work I then updated my BIOS to the latest stable version.
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you working with? In order to clear your CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30secs. Replace the CMOS battery in 30mins.

Is CSM enabled in BIOS?

resetting the BIOS by removing my CMOS battery and when that didn't work I then updated my BIOS to the latest stable version
make sure after a BIOS update to reset
i would always re-enable Optimized Defaults first even if planning on customizing with manual settings.
both these are Nvidia cards it shouldn't be a driver issue...
XFX RX 7900 GRE
this new card is an AMD RX 7000 series, not Nvidia.

are you getting any video output during the boot process and just switching to "no signal" as the OS loads?

BIOS and manufacturer logos should still be visible even if the OS wouldn't have proper drivers installed.
even the OS should load default MS drivers to allow video output.
the GPU works in 2 other systems
that would prove odd.

try different PCIe ports
and all of the card's outputs(HDMI & DP).

try different PSU PCIe power outputs,
as well as different sets of provided cables.

Sep 15, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you working with? In order to clear your CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30secs. Replace the CMOS battery in 30mins.

Is CSM enabled in BIOS?
Thanks for the welcome and the response!
My BIOS version is 1.7
Sorry I didn't specify the full process I used when removing CMOS but I did follow the whole process as you described.
No, its set to UEFI only but I don't even get to BIOS

Sep 15, 2024
make sure after a BIOS update to reset
i would always re-enable Optimized Defaults first even if planning on customizing with manual settings.
I have reset and set all settings to default since the update

this new card is an AMD RX 7000 series, not Nvidia.
sorry for the confusion I was referring to the 2060 and the 3080 both being nvidia and so I wasnt able to test my current system with another amd card (which might be an issue?)
are you getting any video output during the boot process and just switching to "no signal" as the OS loads?
Nothing at all unfortunately, the screen doesn't turn on at all during the start up process and I cant even get into BIOS when the card is plugged in
try different PCIe ports
and all of the card's outputs(HDMI & DP).

I only have the 1 pcie port to try on this motherboard but the pcie slot works for the nvidia cards so it seems to be fine.
Ive tried the HDMI and all three DP and none work when connected to my current setup but they all work on the other motherboards

pcie slot works for the nvidia cards so it seems to be fine
not just to test the functionality of the slot,
to test if this card and this slot may have a slight issue making full contact.

have you also attempted,
this Super Flower has multiple PCIe outputs and should have more than one set of cables available.

have reset and set all settings to default since the update
"default" and "Load Optimized Defaults" are not the same thing.
make sure to choose the latter.

Sep 15, 2024
this Super Flower has multiple PCIe outputs and should have more than one set of cables available.
Ah yes, it has 3 outputs and Ive tried with 2 of them (Im using 2 cables to be make sure it wasnt a power delivery problem) but I'll test with the third as well

"default" and "Load Optimized Defaults" are not the same thing.
make sure to choose the latter
Ah I see, Ill give that a go as well, thanks

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
it's possible that there may just be some one-in-a-million circumstance where this particular card and this particular PCIe slot just happen to have misaligned contacts in a very specific place and it will not power up or communicate properly.

at this point with all of the troubleshooting you have already done i would probably contact XFX and request support.
explaining to them that the card seems to function in other systems, and other cards seem to function in yours.
hopefully they would offer a replacement and not just test your card and send it back.

how old is the motherboard?
you may also want to try the same thing with MSI if XFX fails to send you a card that actually works with your system.