[SOLVED] New gpu, long beep then 4 short beeps, no signal, onboard graphics works fine

Jan 16, 2020
Specs:
CPU: i5-4460
MOBO: Asus H81M Plus
RAM: Kingston 2 x 8gb DDR3
HDD: WD 1TB
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX570
PSU: Corsair RM650x

Was using onboard graphics before, bought a new GPU and PSU. Installed them both. PC works fine without GPU. With the GPU connected, makes 1 long beep then 3 short beeps after booting with no signal.

Tried changing some setting in the bios to startup with PCIe instead of auto. Also connected monitor directly to gpu. Still failed.

Solution
Usually when the GPU is being utilized you dont need to worry about the integrated graphics as the GPU is serving its purpose by removing the need for the cpu to use up processor power to display graphics. Since you mentioned you got it to work then I dont know why you changed it back. You should download your latest drivers on a USB stick for your GPU and then install DDU which follow the instructions by removing old drivers for graphics and boot into safe mode and install your GPU drivers this way avoiding a mix up when booting.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Download DDU you may need to delete the onboard graphics drivers and install you're new ones for your card. However I'm on my phone and cant check too much but you need to make sure that your mobo is actually capable of running that GPU as it's an older 1150 socket it may not be able to run that GPU

Reactions: Boossrc
Jan 16, 2020
Download DDU you may need to delete the onboard graphics drivers and install you're new ones for your card. However I'm on my phone and cant check too much but you need to make sure that your mobo is actually capable of running that GPU as it's an older 1150 socket it may not be able to run that GPU
I've tried to install the new drivers for the card, but it says that It doesn't detect any hardware so I'm not sure if it actually installs anything, but I can't go passed that point. Also checking on the compatibility.

Jan 16, 2020
The GPU might no be fitted properly since the case and the metal framing of the GPU sorta gets in the way. The GPU is also slightly wobbly when I try move it around. Do you think that might be the cause?

novajetfire333

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
ensure GPU is seated in the pice slot correctly if you are worried about the case, remove the system from the case and test it on a clean nonconductive surface if it works you are not installing the GPU correctly in the case.

novajetfire333

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
There was a cable with 6 slots with an extra 2 slots separate. I've connected both of those together to the GPU as well as the other end to the PSU. If there was anything else I needed to do, I have not done that.
Make sure the cables are plugged in correctly you should not be able to pull them out without squeezing the tab. do this for bothe the gpu and power supply

Jan 16, 2020
Okay so... we changed the graphic setting to iGPU in the bios. Plugged in the GPU with everything connected. We got it to boot up with bios and everything and windows logo. Went into installation menu and it detected the hardware and installed the drivers.

Went into bios again changed the graphics settings to PCIe. Saved settings and restarted. PC booted, but no, bios no windows logo goes straight to "please wait" sometimes the duration of this is different and sorta skips it and goes to welcome.

GPU is fully installed and works. PC Detects the card through dxddiag. Ran Witcher 3 worked smoothly.

Still trying to solve the problem of the bios and other startup processes not showing before the desktop pops up.

So we tried resetting CMOS to make the default graphics setting back to auto so we could get bios. First boot was stuck on a system screen so it stayed black forever. Never went to windows. Got to boot it up normally to windows desktop.

Now we've got another problem where integrated graphics doesnt show up on device manager.

Jan 16, 2020
We took the GPU out and BIOS booted up with integrated graphics properly as well as everything else. Went into device manager and integrated graphics showed and GPU did not. Rebooted up with GPU again and the same issues presented again before with the same setup. Integrated graphics does not show in device manager.

FYI while the GPU is connected and the screen is black at startup until windows welcome, we connected the HDMI from the GPU to the motherboard and there was still no signal for that duration.

We've searched all around and we're thinking it might either be a driver update problem with the hdmi port or it could be that it will work with the DP port. Can't try that as we don't have a monitor with a DP port but as soon as I test out those factors, will update again.

Reactions: Zackmoritz

Ferimer

Distinguished
Usually when the GPU is being utilized you dont need to worry about the integrated graphics as the GPU is serving its purpose by removing the need for the cpu to use up processor power to display graphics. Since you mentioned you got it to work then I dont know why you changed it back. You should download your latest drivers on a USB stick for your GPU and then install DDU which follow the instructions by removing old drivers for graphics and boot into safe mode and install your GPU drivers this way avoiding a mix up when booting.

Reactions: Zackmoritz
Solution

novajetfire333

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
We took the GPU out and BIOS booted up with integrated graphics properly as well as everything else. Went into device manager and integrated graphics showed and GPU did not. Rebooted up with GPU again and the same issues presented again before with the same setup. Integrated graphics does not show in device manager.

FYI while the GPU is connected and the screen is black at startup until windows welcome, we connected the HDMI from the GPU to the motherboard and there was still no signal for that duration.

We've searched all around and we're thinking it might either be a driver update problem with the hdmi port or it could be that it will work with the DP port. Can't try that as we don't have a monitor with a DP port but as soon as I test out those factors, will update again.
did you have the hdmi pluged in to the motherboard or the gpu? it needs to be in the gpu.....
as for the bios some cheaper motherboards do not give a bios option on boot depending on hardware configuration. use this article to get into bios.https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10 also if you want to get your bios option back on bootup try disableing fast boot in bios(probably in boot drive options)