Mar 28, 2020
I’m about up to my neck with this one. Just built a new computer from scratch, and with my old gpu it was functioning perfectly. My old gpu turned out to have a failing fan controller so I replaced it.

Old GPU: Geforce GTX 950
New GPU: Radeon RX 580 8g

I went through the ddu to completely uninstall my 950. Did it it safemode, shut it down. I installed my new GPU, and the light turns on that it is receiving power, but I get no display signal.

I have tried restarting and nothing, not even a loading screen for the mobo. I can install my old gpu and my screen will turn on fine.

One of the issues I’m having is that I can’t install the drivers for my new gpu without the gpu itself in the computer. But I can’t run the installer without seeing my screen! I don’t believe my board has integrated graphics since I’ve tried using the mobo hdmi slot.
My specs are as follows

gigabyte B450M DS3H mobo
Ryzen 5 2600 psu
2x Corsair RAM
EVGA 600bq 80 Bronze ps

This is my first build but considering my pc was perfectly functional before, I’m at a loss for how to fix THIS issue.

Solution
Maybe try turning off monitor for a couple of minutes. Power up computer followed by the monitor a few seconds later.

Good news! THAT DID IT! I started from scratch and ddu-uninstalled my old gpu, shut it down, completely removed the cmos battery for several minutes while everything was unplugged (most people say doing it w/ the battery proved more effective), put it back in, plugged everything else back in, securely installed the new gpu,---

-- also turned off the monitor just in case like you said, then turned it on again after booting the pc. Then the bios screen came on!!

I was able to install the drivers and it seems everything is working well. I was surprised that clearing the cmos did it since other articles I read...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming you've connected the 8pin pcie to the gpu, can you test the card in another machine? Drivers aren't necessary to see bios screen so if you don't get a display here then there's something probably wrong with the card.

Try reset cmos.

Where did you buy the 580 from? If it was second hand, check if your 580 model has a dual vbios switch somewhere on the pcb edge, if it's got, it'll be accessible without dismantling. Possible but doubt it, if switch was positioned to legacy mode.

Mar 28, 2020
Assuming you've connected the 8pin pcie to the gpu, can you test the card in another machine? Drivers aren't necessary to see bios screen so if you don't get a display here then there's something probably wrong with the card.

Try reset cmos.

Where did you buy the 580 from? If it was second hand, check if your 580 model has a dual vbios switch somewhere on the pcb edge, if it's got, it'll be accessible without dismantling. Possible but doubt it, if switch was positioned to legacy mode.

I don’t know what the cmos is unfortunately. A quick google search tells me it’s a memory component that works with the BIOS but I’ll have to look into how to access it? any advice on that?
The card was purchased from newegg and was brand new when I opened it.

apologies for being really new to this. It also doesn’t seem like I have any kind of switch on my 580.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok don't worry about the switch then, some models had it and others not.

Yes cmos is the memory chip on the motherboard, powered by a battery which allows it to contain system parameter data from the bios when the system is shutdown. Can clear cmos either by removing the motherboard battery for a couple of minutes or short the cl_cmos pins. The manual should explain where the pins are. This'll empty the cmos chip and bios restored to factory settings.

Naturally, make sure no power is running through the machine if attempt to remove the battery or short the clear cmos pins. Remember which side the battery goes back.

Mar 28, 2020
Ok don't worry about the switch then, some models had it and others not.

Yes cmos is the memory chip on the motherboard, powered by a battery which allows it to contain system parameter data from the bios when the system is shutdown. Can clear cmos either by removing the motherboard battery for a couple of minutes or short the cl_cmos pins. The manual should explain where the pins are. This'll empty the cmos chip and bios restored to factory settings.

Naturally, make sure no power is running through the machine if attempt to remove the battery or short the clear cmos pins. Remember which side the battery goes back.

I will go ahead and try that tomorrow. I've got this unnerving feeling that it still may not fix the issue. I'll reply again if it doesn't, but if you happen to know any other tricks I can try I'd appreciate it. And of course I do appreciate the help in general as well!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem. I don't think it'll fix the issue either but it's something to try i guess.

Other things to check for is nothing preventing the card from being fully seated into the pcie slot and check the video cable isn't being partially blocked by the case if the video port is close to the edge.

Mar 28, 2020
Maybe try turning off monitor for a couple of minutes. Power up computer followed by the monitor a few seconds later.

Good news! THAT DID IT! I started from scratch and ddu-uninstalled my old gpu, shut it down, completely removed the cmos battery for several minutes while everything was unplugged (most people say doing it w/ the battery proved more effective), put it back in, plugged everything else back in, securely installed the new gpu,---

-- also turned off the monitor just in case like you said, then turned it on again after booting the pc. Then the bios screen came on!!

I was able to install the drivers and it seems everything is working well. I was surprised that clearing the cmos did it since other articles I read said it usually doesn't. Perhaps since my build is rather fresh and since I put the motherboard together myself, resetting it was just like how i installed everything the first time it loaded?

Anyway, thanks so much for your help! :D

Solution