[SOLVED] New GPU overheating already

Feb 1, 2022
So after 3 years of having my current GPU, it failed apparently due to dust and overheating; so I got a replacement of the exact same model (RX590). I obviously expected for there to be no overheating issues on a brand new GPU without a single speck of dust; boy was I wrong.

On lowest graphics (1080p), my GPU was hitting 85c whilst playing Rust which was the same as my old card towards the end of its life (using MSI afterburner to check this). I don't know if this is an issue with this card and game specifically or if I happened to get a faulty GPU, any help is much appreciated!

Even when nothing is open besides google (so GPU usage is at 0%), the temp of it is still at 42c!

Last edited:
Solution
Im not sure about that card in particular, but I know my 5700xt by default the fans speed would only max out at like 60%, I guess to keep noise down, I had to make a custom fan profile for it as I personally like my fans running at 100% at 70C, everyone is a little different.

You can set a fan profile in MSI afterburner, or even the AMD control panel, I'd watch and see what speed the fan gets to to make sure its actually speeding up when it gets warm

Also 42c at idle means nothing, My fans on my cards fan wont even turn on until it hits 55C, each card is different though, but 42C at idle is nothing to worry about, its slowing the fans down, should look at it as a plus as it will keep the dust down with slower fan speeds.

Gaming...
Im not sure about that card in particular, but I know my 5700xt by default the fans speed would only max out at like 60%, I guess to keep noise down, I had to make a custom fan profile for it as I personally like my fans running at 100% at 70C, everyone is a little different.

You can set a fan profile in MSI afterburner, or even the AMD control panel, I'd watch and see what speed the fan gets to to make sure its actually speeding up when it gets warm

Also 42c at idle means nothing, My fans on my cards fan wont even turn on until it hits 55C, each card is different though, but 42C at idle is nothing to worry about, its slowing the fans down, should look at it as a plus as it will keep the dust down with slower fan speeds.

Gaming loads, Its not too uncommon to see 80C at full load, my 5700xt hits 87C at full load overclocked, a little on the hot side other wise its still in the safe limit, my 6800xt hits 79c, perfectly safe and normal, its cooler without the side panel, but I like the side panel on, OCD lol

Good luck!

Solution