"New" GPU = Slow PC

delicatoboll

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
Hi,

I installed a new graphics card into my system and then everything got so slow. Startup, browsing, gaming etc.
The "new" GPU is a GTX 660 which i replaced with an older GPU. I have disabled superfetch and windows search, with no luck.

My system specs are:

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel core i3-2120
4GB DDR3 RAM
450GB HDD
Fractal Design 550W PSU

I re-installed Win 10, with no luck.

The PSU was new as well. I also changed the SATA ports on the motherboard since the GPU was in the way.

Anyone know why the PC got so slow?

EDIT:
- Gaming works quite OK. However, ordinary tasks such as web browsing, starting up PC etc, takes waaay too much time. Something is messed up.
- Have the newest graphics card drivers

delicatoboll

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I already re-installed the Windows 10 completely.

However, afterwards I downloaded the nVidia driver from the automatic finder on their webpage. I will see if the driver is different if I select my GPU manually.

delicatoboll

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I have the latest drivers for that graphics card. So that was not the issue.
Also, I tried playing League of Legends. It was quite OK. But startup, starting applications, web browsing etc. takes way to much time. Something is wrong here.

Anyone?

delicatoboll

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
The PC worked perfectly fine before GPU switch. The GTX 660 is PCI 2.0 compatitable as my motherboard.

Do you think the problem is with switching SATA ports (changed the HDD and CDROM's SATA ports)? Cause then I'm done - I can't fit them under the GPU where they originally were connected.

Give me motherboard model and ill see trought the manual.

How much free space do you have on HDD?
Try to reseat GPU.
Clear CMOS (Unplug your PSU from wall (Switch psu off), remove shiny battery, switch PSU ON (without connecting to wall power), hold power button for 30s, switch psu off , plug into wall and power it up (psu switch on)(if you don't have switch do same but without pressing switch).
Sata isnt issue.
Do you have spare PSU?

delicatoboll

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I removed and inserted the GPU again - same result.
How strange computers can be.... I'm just amazed that it works somehow normally during gameplay and not general stuff like web browsing, opening programs etc. :/

Untitled.jpg
now press like this seems like one of process is hugging your HDD usage.