New GPUs/GPU Upgrade possible bottleneck issues

Irishsullie

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Current set up:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77
GPU: 2x MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
HD: 1TB and 500SSD
Windows Home Edition

I am looking at upgrading my GPU in the near future to a 1080Ti. Correct me if I'm wrong but the new GPUs that have been shown, most games won't be taking advantage of and the 1080Ti is still a very good purchase these days for very good graphics. I went through thebottlenecker.com to see what kind of impact I'd have if I went to a 1080Ti with my current CPU. I don't know how accurate it is, but he site states I'd definitely have a bottleneck with this setup. I'm also assuming even with a bottleneck, I'd have a better running gaming computer, just wouldn't be living up to its full potential.

I'd really prefer not to have to upgrade CPU and GPU at the same time unless you guys think that's something that I would just have to do if I was going to upgrade the GPU to a 1080Ti. My budget could fit one or the other but not both at this time.

As always I appreciate the advice and help!

Irishsullie

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

I'm actually hooked up to my 4k TV right now, specs say the refresh rate is 120Hz and resolution is 4k. Even if my monitor is 1080p or worse, this process is still for upgrading and would get pieces as I go. If I'm going to buy a GPU I'd rather get a better one to last me longer down the road.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, there isn't a card in existence that can handle 4k 120hz right now. 1080ti/Titan Xp can barely handle 4k 60hz as is... 1070 is the max I'd recommend for 1080p.
You are going to have some fps dips here an there with that cpu - even though it's a higher resolution, and high res generally offsets more of the cpu's load onto the gpu, but a 3570k isn't a good match for a 1080ti. You'll eventually need to upgrade that as well.

Irishsullie

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

Do you think I'd still end up with a better graphics setting than I have now regardless of the bottleneck? I definitely plan on getting a new CPU asap, but in the mean time the GPU is the next step for me.

Thanks for the info!

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you may need to upgrade the power supply first

a 1080 ti requires a GOOD 650w or better unit

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Do you think I'd still end up with a better graphics setting than I have now regardless of the bottleneck?
You will definitely have better graphics with 1070 or 1080. You could also mildly overclock your CPU for better performance until you buy a better one.

You might wanna change the PSU as well. It's recommended to change it every now and then especially with big upgrades.

Irishsullie

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

I do have a 750W power supply already, though it's definitely a few years old.

Irishsullie

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

What would you consider every now and then? I have a 750W power supply, its definitely around 4 or so years old.