[SOLVED] New graphics card, computer won't go further motherboard screen

Jan 28, 2020
Hello, i recently bought a gtx 1660 ti , but the computer won't go further motherboard screen, i can't go into bios either. The computer starts(without beeping), goes until motherboard screen, stays there for a few seconds(maybe a minute), beeps, after another 30-40 seconds it beeps again and goes into black screen(monitor goes to sleep). The other components are pretty old: motherboard medion ms 7728, cpu i7 2600, 8 gb ram ddr3 with a 650 W power supply. I updated the bios as well(checked some other threads before i posted) but still doesn't work. Tested with the old graphics card and it works. Do i need to buy a new motherboard or is there any way of making it work like that? Thanks in advance!

Solution
H310 isn't guaranteed to have native BIOS support for 9th gen CPUs (basically only B365 and Z390). You may need an 8th gen CPU to perform a BIOS update first. Just an FYI. Backward/forward compatibility isn't all candy canes and roses.

If a mobo has the "BIOS flashback" feature, it doesn't need a CPU installed to perform a BIOS update, so as long as the board is compatible with the CPU in SOME BIOS revision, you're fine.
Also, in the case of MSI B450 "Max" boards for AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs, they explicitly state (and you can see it in the BIOS revisions CPU compatibility list) that Ryzen 3000 CPUs are guaranteed supported natively. Be careful of this wording, as it can be misleading (ie, all B450 boards are Ryzen 3000 compatible, just...
Jan 28, 2020
well yes, but it will be difficult to find a motherbord that will work with that aging i72600 especially if you need to find one that supports UEFI. at that time UEFI BIOS was not very common and would only be on the more premium motherbords
"Premium" as in Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/AsRock/Biostar etc....
i found an old asrock h61m/u3s3 but i have the same problem(i found on a page that this motherboard works)... i let that cpu in there and put the new gpu in.. but i have the exact same problem... i guess i have to buy new mobo+cpu+ ram(since i use ddr3)....
Started checking and i thought about i3 9100f with msi h310m and 8 gb corsair vengance dual channel(3000 Mhz)... this should work with the new gpu(In case i don't make it work with that one, i might end up buying something so i don't waste the money spent on the gpu)

lynx1021

Distinguished
I found some used XFX brand RX460's on eBay that are Legacy bios compatible. I got two for me and one for my brothers older non UEFI BIOS PC. When they boot there is this yellow screen for about 10 seconds but then it goes right into windows. I have heard the XFX RX 580 is supposed to work on legacy also and some 1050, 1060 Ti's.

H310 isn't guaranteed to have native BIOS support for 9th gen CPUs (basically only B365 and Z390). You may need an 8th gen CPU to perform a BIOS update first. Just an FYI. Backward/forward compatibility isn't all candy canes and roses.

If a mobo has the "BIOS flashback" feature, it doesn't need a CPU installed to perform a BIOS update, so as long as the board is compatible with the CPU in SOME BIOS revision, you're fine.
Also, in the case of MSI B450 "Max" boards for AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs, they explicitly state (and you can see it in the BIOS revisions CPU compatibility list) that Ryzen 3000 CPUs are guaranteed supported natively. Be careful of this wording, as it can be misleading (ie, all B450 boards are Ryzen 3000 compatible, just that some need a BIOS update first).

Solution