New graphics card for dell optiplex 790

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liambhatton

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi, I have a dell optiplex 790 and I need to upgrade my GPU to play games. What graphics card is the BEST for my pc, I have a amd radeon hd 7470 1 gb

Solution
AHH Need to say that to begin with! LOL You need to make sure the Video card is a Low Profile Video card. Again if you got low profile still the AMD 7750 or the Nvidia 640 Low Profile Editions are still the most powerful you can go.
That case will fit most of the video cards out there. So its what your budge is. You will have to upgrade your PSU as well since the stock PSU doesn't have any PCIe Power Connectors and if it does it only 1 6 pin. And It runs a Second Gen i Series which are gettings harder to find. I've never tried putting a 3rd Gen in a 2nd Gen i Series Optiplex. I work with them all the time since my IT company is a Dell Reseller. Just got 4 Optiplex's 3010's in the other day.

Also after doing some research it uses the Q65 Chipset which only suppots the i7-2600K. People have tired Ivy Bridge and also the 2700k and no luck even with latest Bios. Dell is VERY restrictive on what CPU you can just toss in them. They probably did that on purpose so that you can buy a cheap system and then spend less upgrading it on your own. So if you can find a i7-2600k you should be good. Remember Because its a Dell there is NO OVER CLOCKING WHAT SO EVER on these machines.

If you don't want to upgrade PSU the best you can do is either the 7750 for AMD or the 640 for nvidia. Those are the best video cards that do not requite any extra power. anything better and you will have to upgrade the PSU which isn't that hard. Those Optiplex's do NOT have any special Power Supplies. Any normal Power Supply will work.

EDIT: I take that back the only thing you have to worry about is PSU Length. If you stick any standard size 750W or lower PSU you'll be fine. Even with a high end graphics card and if you only run one no need for anything more than 500-600 watts. Those Optiplex only come with like 250-275w PSU's

AHH Need to say that to begin with! LOL You need to make sure the Video card is a Low Profile Video card. Again if you got low profile still the AMD 7750 or the Nvidia 640 Low Profile Editions are still the most powerful you can go.

Solution

Harris Boy

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi,

I have Dell OptiPlex 790 MT (Mini Tower). It only has power supply of 265 watts. Also its PCI x16 slot on motherboard is limited to draw only 35 watts max from power supply. I am gamer and I want a system for gaming. I want to change its motherboard and power supply so I can install good graphic card for playing games. My system has Intel Core i5 2500 (not k version) processor . So I have few question regarding to my upgrade. I will be really thankful to you if you can help me.

My questions are:

a) Can anyone tell me the form factor of stock motherboard in this system? And also of which form factor motherboard I can install in it? (Actually I want to install this (GIGABYTE GA-H61M-DS2) motherboard. Here is its link: http://www.gigabyte.pk/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3970#ov

b) I also want to change stock power supply but I don't know its factor (Dimensions) too. Can someone tell me the dimensions of stock power supply in this system and also it will be great if you suggest any power supply that can fit inside it?

Here is my mini tower inside view: http://tinyurl.com/naxpcft

I will be really thankful to you if you can help me, I will wait for your help

Its a Micro ATX. I'm not sure though but i think the IO pannel on the back might not be changeable. Not 100% sure on that though.

Also any PSU should fit in there for the most part. They do have a metal locking click in the back but that won't stop you from installing longer PSU's though.

Now if you get a GPU that requires you to have PCIe 6/8 Pin power I don't think the power draw on the PCIe is but not 100% sure on this. If you were looking to get a better video card I'd get the PSU and Video card first and try it out. This way you can save your money later on for a newer motherboard and newer CPU vs buying a motherboard for a 2nd Gen CPU when you already have one.

Also you WILL have to buy another Windows License if you change the motherboard. If you keep the current one then you won't have any issue.

Also their CPU Heatsink screws in. not sure if its an X Bracket on the back of the motherboard or if it screws into the Chassis. The older (Optiplex X20 to X80) you couldn't do squat to them.

Harris Boy

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

I have Dell optiplex 790 MT (mini tower), if you are using stock power supply and stock motherboard then stock psu is of only 265 watts which is low for that card I think. Also motherboard is restricted to draw only 35 watts max from that x16 pci slot. So be careful...

Status
Not open for further replies.