[SOLVED] New graphics card or MB with on board GPU?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
I have a pretty old computer and some of my hardware has been failing on me, most recently my graphics card.

It occurs to me that, rather than buy a new GPU, it may be better for me to buy a new MB with an on board GPU, because, as I say, a lot of my hardware is old and has been dying, so I'd like to hedge against the possibility of my MB failing down the road.

The problem is, I have DDR3 RAM and an old CPU (Athlon II X2 250 3 Ghz ), so any MB I get would have to support that.

I don't game, so I don't care about performance, I'm just looking to get out of the problem in the cheapest way possible.

So, the question is:

1. Is there a MB available today that meets those criteria (on board GPU, supports DDR3 and that CPU)
  2. Which would be cheaper - getting that MB or the cheapest available GPU?

Solution
Cheapest GPU is sure cheaper than a whole combo.
You can get a whole new system build, say, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G based, at around 400$. And add a GPU later if even.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have a pretty old computer and some of my hardware has been failing on me, most recently my graphics card.

It occurs to me that, rather than buy a new GPU, it may be better for me to buy a new MB with an on board GPU, because, as I say, a lot of my hardware is old and has been dying, so I'd like to hedge against the possibility of my MB failing down the road.

The problem is, I have DDR3 RAM and an old CPU (Athlon II X2 250 3 Ghz ), so any MB I get would have to support that.

I don't game, so I don't care about performance, I'm just looking to get out of the problem in the cheapest way possible.

So, the question is:

1. Is there a MB available today that meets those criteria (on board GPU, supports DDR3 and that CPU)
  2. Which would be cheaper - getting that MB or the cheapest available GPU?

Hi @Dimitri001,

Whats your budget? Also please list out your PSU and be as specific as possible. Take a pic of the sticker on it if you have to. What is the PC's primary use? Any reason why you don't upgrade to current(ish) gen tech?

Here is a post from 2015 asking about GPU's & your particular CPU that might interest you.

Here is a mobo that supports your current hardware and has an onboard GPU.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
No recent motherboard has on-board graphics. The motherboard video outputs for these newer motherboards require processors that include graphics. For your system, the simplest solution would be to just get another graphics card as replacing a motherboard of that age could prove costly and/or problematic. If a new core system is out of the question, then just get a new graphics card.

-Wolf sends

Jun 3, 2020
The suggested mobo needs a cpu with integrated graphics which the CPU recommended does have. The suggested combo is actually pretty good if you aren't gaming at all and on a strict budget.

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Ok, so it seems it's definitely gonna be a GPU.

So, let me ask you guys this: Which of the first 6 cards on the list here should I go with, keeping in mind that I don't game, but I watch a lot of 1080p video and I need that to run smoothly:

(NOTE: the site is not in English, but you can tell what the cards are, I think)

https://www.hgshop.hr/graficke/510

Also, how do the cards on that list stack up against Geforce 7300 LE?

Because that's a replacement card that I have at home and I tried putting it in, but my computer was pretty slow at times with it - I don't game, but I do have 100s of tabs open in Firefox and I watch a lot of online video. Can I expect to have that kind of slowness with any of the 6 on that list?

Last edited:

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
If your 14 year old GT7300LE was good enough for you, then any of the cards on this list would be more than enough for your usage. No reason not to go with the least expensive.

No, no, the GT7300LE is not the card I was running that died on me. That's the card I put in temporarily as replacement for the one that died on me and I experienced those kind of problems with it. So, if I go for one of those 6, I'd need to know they were much faster than the Geforce 7300 LE and that I couldn't have the same kind of problems I hat with the GT with any of those 6.

However, I would ask what operating system version you're running.

-Wolf sends

Win10

Wolfshadw

Titan
No, no, the GT7300LE is not the card I was running that died on me. That's the card I put in temporarily as replacement for the one that died on me and I experienced those kind of problems with it. So, if I go for one of those 6, I'd need to know they were much faster than the Geforce 7300 LE and that I couldn't have the same kind of problems I hat with the GT with any of those 6.

Win10

Ok. No issues then. Go with This GT 710 as it has 2GB of on-board VRAM whereas the others only have 1GB. That should help with having a lot of tabs open.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: anotherdrew