New Graphics Card...Problem???

Blinxer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I just finished installing a sapphire hd 3850 agp graphics card on my medion Titanium MD 8084XL processor. But everytime I attempt to turn on the computer, nothing shows on the monitor. Plus the card's fan doesn't run until I turn it off the computer (AND IT RUNS IF THE POWER CONNECTOR IS DISCONNECTED) The computer is running, but nothing shows. I have a dell monitor with a vga output. I am using a dvi to vga adapatar to connect to the dvi connection in the card.

I'm pretty sure the problem has something to do with the dvi to vga connection. Is there something on my monitor I have to reset to get it to work?

ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!! FROM SOMEONE WHO'S CHANGED GRAPHICS CARDS BEFORE

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I've heard of this before, Capacitor leak in the Power supply causes the fans to flicker on and off even if its unplugged.

How old is the system? And does this problem persist without the card in?

Blinxer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Yes I was using an onboard SiS 661FX video before (it's way out of date). I'm not sure what you mean by amperage but here's the info on the side of the power supply box

AC Input: 110-120V, 50/60 Hz
DC Output: 350W

I just did some specific research and the graphics card I have requires 450W or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt rail. :sweat:

Ok...so does that mean my power supply isn't sufficient? The card's fan will run when the molex's are disconnected and I turn on the computer...I'm not sure what that means. If I connect the molex's and turn the computer on, the fan on the card will turn slightly when i turn the computer back off.

And...if my power supply is indeed too low, can you explain how I can get another power supply and how much it it will cost??? ><

Blinxer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

The system is about...6 years old? When I unplug the power on the graphics card and turn on the computer, though, it doesn't just flicker. It runs constantly.
Nothing is wrong with either the system or the card when I take the card out. The system processor fan works fine.

And the main issue is that nothing shows up on the monitor, even though the system is running and the orange light is active on the monitor.

Therefore, I'm not sure if the problem is with the graphics card, the dvi to vga connection, or the settings on the monitor...

Blinxer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

When I power on and the graphics card is connected to the power supply, the card's fan doesn't run.

And no I don't hear any beeps either, and I know your supposed to hear one which suggests that it is a power issue. I think I need a new psu.

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Take the card out, See if it works okay without it.