Question New graphics card, Win10 won't boot (among other maybe-related issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverwestein

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
EDIT: Fixed ... I didn't have to do this with the last two cards I had, but this time around I had to go into the BIOS, go to chipset settings, and change the primary video device to the onboard graphics. I then had to connect my display to the motherboard's DVI port. Windows then booted fine, I was able to get drivers installed, then go back to BIOS and change it back, and reconnect my display to the card itself.

I built a new PC in 2016 and it worked great for 3 years. I moved in late 2019, and since setting up at my new place I've had constant problems with my computer. I had BSD's for ages (largely related to video card/driver issues, which is part of the reason I'm posting here) , and -- partly out of laziness and partly out of financial constraints -- I found that after rebooting a dozen times, eventually it would work fine, and just leaving my PC on constantly was an acceptable workaround. Whenever I had to reboot, I'd have to reboot 10-20 times before it worked again. Sometime Windows wouldn't boot at all, sometimes it would, but my intel display drivers would work while the video card drivers would be disabled because they didn't work, and I'd basically have to reboot over and over until the graphics card drivers suddenly worked (while the Intel display drivers would be disabled -- I couldn't get both to function at the same time). Once I could get a boot with the video card drivers working, I'd just leave it on as long as possible.

About 2 weeks ago my video card seemingly died -- I couldn't get my reboot-repeatedly-until-it-works trick to work, and my display simply wouldn't turn on. Luckily I had helped a friend build a computer a few days earlier and he gave me his old card so I'd have a backup. I installed the new card and it worked fine (Intel drivers still won't function at the same time). The old card he lent me was a bit of a downgrade from my original card, so I just bought a new card in hopes of returning to my original gaming and drafting glory (I need my PC for both work and pleasure). I installed the new card, and Windows simply wouldn't boot. I'd keep getting the "Windows didn't start correctly" screen, and even with system restore, every option within safe mode boot options, and every other boot option available, I couldn't get Windows to even boot. I just threw the previous card back in, and it booted fine on the second try.

What the everliving hell could be going on here? I'm looking for advice for both the new card and the original problem, but honestly, I'm so used to the whole reboot-repeatedly-until-it-works problem that I'd accept help just to get the new card working. I'm at a total loss. I'm happy to answer any questions/provide further details.

System info:
Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Windows drive; two additional storage drives)

Video cards:
Original (that worked great for a few years but has since seemingly died): SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon RX 480 4gb VRAM
Temporary replacement card: Nvidia GTX 770 2gb VRAM
New card: MSI Radeon RX 570 8gb VRAM

Thank you sooooooo, sooo much if you can provide any advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.