New GTX 1080ti High Temps!

Sep 12, 2018
Hi guys. I just bought EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 and for some reason I get around 79 - 85° when I play games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Far Cry 5. I understand that this is not going to harm the gpu since it was designed to handle this temp but I watched some videos of people playing the same game, same settings and same exact gpu but never even exceed 70° (65 - 68° most of thtime r time). So why do I have significantly higher temp? I even tried to set a curve for my fan where the speed reaches 70% and higher when the temp reaches 75° still nothin much! I'm starting to doubt it is my case airflow that is wrong or something although it should be fine based on what I know. Here is my rig info:

Case: Raidmax Sigma
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
CPU: Intel Core I7-8700k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Code
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
PSU: Silverstone 700W

The case has 3 front intake 120m fans, 1 back exhaust 140m fan came with the case, and the NZXT Kraken fans that are placed on top as exhaust. So that makes 3 intakes and 3 exhaust total. Is there a problem with how fans are oriented?

Note: I have no temp probs with CPU at all it never exceeded 55°. It is just the GPU that has high temps.

Please help :(

Solution
Sep 12, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply. If by profile you mean to set the fan curve then I already did as I mentioned but it did not make a noticeable difference.

Have you spoken with EVGA? 1 (888) 880-3842

Monitor's make and model?

I see an issue with a couple games which may be driver related. Are those the only games you play?

Looks like that case has half an intake up front. I don't think that's an issue but I don't like that design.

What does your dwelling's thermostat say?

Using MSI AB, what's your loads and clocks?

I'd ask EVGA about the card's voltage.

Solution
Sep 29, 2018
The EVGA 1080ti SC2 is known for being a VERY hot card as it is a SMALL, 2 SLOT 1080ti which really harms its cooling potential. Those temps won't harm the GPU, but you won't be able to overclock as far with temps like that. If overclocking isn't for you, then don't worry because realistically there is nothing you can do to lower the temps except disassembling your GPU and liquid metalling it...

Since there's not much you can do with the card other than set a custom fan profile. The only other thing you can do is address your intake /exhaust setup. Either add more fans or increase the rpms of existing fans, in order to provide more fresh air for the card to be able to cool itself. More often than not card temps are dictated by the environment you provide rather than the cooling solution of the card itself. Good luck!

Sep 29, 2018

With the number of fans he has, and considering his CPU temp, I seriously doubt case airflow is the problem, the EVGA 1080ti SC2 is a very hot card as I previously mentioned, 2 slots for a 1080ti is tiny