[SOLVED] New GTX 1660 giving low, jumping, frame rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2020
My newly installed GTX 1660 card is giving very low frame rates on running games. Jumping between 35-20-15-25-30 and so on, causing a really jerky inconsistent game play. The games I have tried are Final Fantasy XIV and Diablo 3

I've checked all drivers, settings, and everything I can think of and have no improvement to show for it.

Specs-
CPU: i7-4790k
GPU: GTX 1660
RAM: 16gb
Powersupply: PowerSpec 850W

if you need more info let me know. I just can't figure out why its crapping on itself

Solution
Yeah it's your CPU that is screwing up all the performance of the rest of your system. Including the RAM.

I have no idea why your CPU is only boosting to 0.75 GHz. Temperatures of your CPU at idle?

I think you have an overheating problem and your CPU is throttling down to that speed.
Feb 1, 2020
Did you uninstall the previous drivers before installing your new card? Did you install the new drivers of your GPU using DDU?

What is your temperature of the GPU?

I did DDU and uninstalled all old drivers and installed the most recent one for the new GPU, no luck there.

Temp wise is it averages around 37C

Yeah it's your CPU that is screwing up all the performance of the rest of your system. Including the RAM.

I have no idea why your CPU is only boosting to 0.75 GHz. Temperatures of your CPU at idle?

I think you have an overheating problem and your CPU is throttling down to that speed.

Solution
Feb 1, 2020

idle is about 60C but in games it runs pretty hot at around 90C. So I guess poor cooling judgement on my part.

Feb 1, 2020
Well it might be the thermal paste that was not properly done or the thermal paste is now dry or the heatsink not properly seated but yeah 90C is too hot. If you check what I said you will find the cause pretty fast. Good luck!
Do you think replacement paste would help, also a better cooler? or is it too far gone and I should look at replacements?

Last edited:
Also, after you do those things, in the bios on many systems you can set CPU fan speeds. I would suggest seeing if you can force it to 100%. Also what is airflow like in your case? Like how many fans do you have? Having good airflow can help bring down your ambient temperature in the case as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.