New GTX 970 won't display on DVI monitor

bobbyzzx

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
I have been using this dell monitor for a while, it has DVI and VGA input so I have been using DVI to connect with my old PC. The cable I use, I'm pretty sure, is DVI-D single link, so that means the monitor is DVI-D. Now I got a new PC with two GTX 970(gigabyte G1 Gaming) and I can't get it to display on the monitor. The on/off light keep going on and off when I turn on the PC but nothing shows(I tried both the DVI-D and DVI-I port). I manage to connect the PC to my TV and get every driver installed, but still not luck on the monitor. Is it because of the graphic card, the cable or the monitor(possibly the auto-sleep function)?

Any help will be appreciated!

Solution
]Just because the cable will plug in, doesn't mean it's compatible. There are about five different combinations that will "plug" in but not work on every system. Look at the socket on the monitor and the socket on the GPU output. If there are two DVI outputs on the GPU, one of them is probably dual link and the other is probably single link, regardless whether they are both DVI-D, DVI-I or a combination of the two. You could even have it plugged into a DVI-I socket on the GPU, with a DVI-D single link cable into a DVI-D dual link socket on monitor, which probably won't result in a video signal.

28v7r41.png
Which GPU are you connecting the cable to? You need to connect to the one in the #1 slot which is where you would install a single GPU and is generally the GPU that is closest to the top of the case. Make sure also that you're not trying to connect to the motherboard output if there is one.

bobbyzzx

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Yes it's in the #1 GPU. And the monitor is Dell 2000FP

bobbyzzx

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Everything works fine when I connect HDMI to TV (with sli on), so I really think it's the monitor or the port. It's Asus Maximus VII Gene. I got a DVI-I to VGA converter hopefully I can get my VGA connection to work

]Just because the cable will plug in, doesn't mean it's compatible. There are about five different combinations that will "plug" in but not work on every system. Look at the socket on the monitor and the socket on the GPU output. If there are two DVI outputs on the GPU, one of them is probably dual link and the other is probably single link, regardless whether they are both DVI-D, DVI-I or a combination of the two. You could even have it plugged into a DVI-I socket on the GPU, with a DVI-D single link cable into a DVI-D dual link socket on monitor, which probably won't result in a video signal.

28v7r41.png

Solution