New Hard Drive

I am about to buy a new 160 GB hard drive.

I have heard that it will require a special ATA controller card.

Anybody know anything about this.

The compute is GW 500 MX, 2.4 GH, Pentium 4, running Windows XP Home
that is almost 2 years old.

Thanks for any advice.

Unless your system has a 48-bit LBA BIOS, it will require a controller card.

"j walker" <SC@alltel.net> wrote in message
> I am about to buy a new 160 GB hard drive.
>
> I have heard that it will require a special ATA controller card.
>
> Anybody know anything about this.
>
> The compute is GW 500 MX, 2.4 GH, Pentium 4, running Windows XP Home
> that is almost 2 years old.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:09:50 GMT, "Edward J. Neth"
<ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:

>Unless your system has a 48-bit LBA BIOS, it will require a controller card.
>

>"j walker" <SC@alltel.net> wrote in message
>> I am about to buy a new 160 GB hard drive.
>>
>> I have heard that it will require a special ATA controller card.
>>
>> Anybody know anything about this.
>>
>> The compute is GW 500 MX, 2.4 GH, Pentium 4, running Windows XP Home
>> that is almost 2 years old.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.

Before I received the reply someone told me to contact GW about a
software upgrade which I did. They say a upgrade to the BIOS will fix
the limitation.

We will see.