NEW HD2900XT IS HERE!

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Card Series Who is it for? How much power? 1 x PCIE 8pin 1 x PCIE 6pin Connector required?
ATI Radeon 2900 Enthusiasts who seek the maximum amount of power and FPS rate that they can achieve for their money ~ 225W Yes
ATI Radeon 2600 People looking to get the best performance Approx. 45W No
ATI Radeon 2400 People who are beginners to building computers and want the best value 20 to 35W No

8O

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
hey, this is for my ATI fan boys waiting for the "real" 2900xt. the one releaced first is IMO is just to get Big Green nervous for whats to come. the 2900xt has more power, faster mem and a big metal boot to kick some ass :twisted:

heres the link, http://www.extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?menu1id=12&menu2id=99&menu3id=39&productid=371414
This looks WAY old. More detailed reviews are already done.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
eeew did anyone see the pic of ruby at the end? she looks like an old woman! well, it probably is, since that site looked like BS.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Well 1GB of memory and an overclock isn't going to save this card, especially if they sell it 150$ higher than a regular 2900XT. For that price you should definitly go for a 8800GTX.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
That review was horribly biased. I didn't even see a single 2900XT vs. a single 8800 GTS,GTX,Ultra SLI or even mention the new price differences (i.e. Ultra is $650 U.S. , GTS 320 ~$270) or the mainstream resolutions.

While the clock speed boosts will help, it's unlikely that this card will reverse the fortunes at the top, only likely to make this closer than the plain XT, but unlikely to dethrone the Ultra or even GTX in most situations.

edited the spelling of 'fortunes'.

remember that price is Canadian :wink: you guys should have it for around..550?

Yeah but considering how close we're getting to dollar parity that's still a scary thought at $615 US price. Now we know that the prices are also jacked up here north of the border, but still not very attractive right this moment even if we make it a $550 card.

Things may change with time, and it's nice to see the card making an appearance, but it's not a 'deal' for most people yet.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I'd sure love to see a full gaming comparison against the 8800GTX with this card. Nevermind when the drivers get better. The price isn't quite in my range though but it's good to see something better coming from the AMD camp.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well it proves that ddr4 is really expensive, even when you think that you put 1 Gb of it to a card.
I don't remember how much difference there were between 256 Mb cards and 512Mb card in the era of ATI 9700-9800... The speed difference was minimal though at that time.

This is memory boost for those who wanna use really BIG textures in games like Oblivion where you can change everything...
Hmm... that would be nice! No more speed but even bigger textures :)

In reality we need 65nm version of this card. Then it can really use that huge memory bandwide!
Even then most propably multible cores is needed to compete with NVids 65nm version. If (read when) both companies bring multicore versions of their flagships ATI has advantage because of higher memory bandwide. Ofcource Nvid can widen their, but it meas some changes to the architecture.

coolpurplefan

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
It's still 80nm.

I agree with the pricing. If ATI has something slightly inferior, then they should price it where people want to buy it.

I almost feel like laughing out loud here. Their K10 processor may not beat CD2. So, this is really weird. New generations of technology with higher prices and slower performance? lol, I know I'm exaggerating but it kind of looks like that on the surface.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Is the card come with a free Extinguisher ? Seeing "Caution" on the card scare me, if only the fan had to stop it may burn your house.

Techfan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It's time for ATI gain some performance. The 3Dmark results look promising but with games only time will tell. Coz ATI always show better results from nvidia in 3Dmark than games.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
This is just the factory overclocked version, the interesting real 2900xt is the one that comes with 65 nm GPU, as they with it has the choice to make it faster(more mhz) or make it more energy efficient. Sadly I doubt it will appear much earlier than when I have allready started using a lot of my money on christmas presents.

Peffse

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I almost feel like laughing out loud here. Their K10 processor may not beat CD2. So, this is really weird. New generations of technology with higher prices and slower performance? lol, I know I'm exaggerating but it kind of looks like that on the surface.
déjà vu, right?
It's like Netburst all over again. What do you do when you can't compete? Clock it higher and make it hotter.