Question New HDD keeps disconnecting and requires formatting every startup

Feb 7, 2021
Hello all! I'm a relatively new PC builder and I increased my available storage on my pc with a brand spankin' new Seagate BarraCuda ST3000DM008 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive from Newegg. I've been having this reoccurring issue where my hard drive disappears after I've formatted it and installed games on it... My PC's OS is windows 10 with a Ryzen 3800X processor and Gigabyte X570 aorus pro wifi MB. I have the hard drive plugged into the same power cable splitter that two of my RGB fans run off of. My PSU is a 850W gold rated corsair.

After some research I found out there is a default windows setting that turns off drives after 20 mins and I assumed that's why it kept disappearing. I changed it to the 'Never' option, but this didn't turn it back on. So then I shut down my pc then turned it back on and still, no drive was visible in my folders. Out of curiosity, I went to disk management only to be greeted by a new drive discovery prompt labeling it as unallocated space and basically wanting me to format it again to be able to use it. It is getting super annoying to redownload games over and over, and I dont understand why I cant just turn it back on while the pc is running windows. I basically want to know why I'm having to reformat it every time I turn the PC back on and what vital points I'm missing in understanding how it works... because something is definitely fishy here. Shouldn't the drive spin back up with everything I've put on it like normal even though it powered down after 20 mins? If say, the power wire is loose and it loses power, would that force it to be reformatted again? I'm just racking my brain trying to understand what would make the drive forget it was formatted in the first place. I've yet to see if changing the default power down time to 'never' has fixed it... I have a feeling it may be something else.

I have seen this problem several times, but I've never found a root cause. It always seems to happen on Ryzen platforms, though.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? The partitions can be restored with a few clicks in a matter of minutes. This won't address the root cause, but it will avoid a complete reformat and reinstall.

https://dmde.com/

Feb 7, 2021
I have seen this problem several times, but I've never found a root cause. It always seems to happen on Ryzen platforms, though.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? The partitions can be restored with a few clicks in a matter of minutes. This won't address the root cause, but it will avoid a complete reformat and reinstall.

https://dmde.com/
I have taken a screen snip of the partitions in the DMDE application you suggested. I dont know how to display the image in the forum however... and my image hosting service wants me to pay to post photos that can be imbedded/linked to. It used to be free.. Ugghhh. I swapped the hard drive to its own power cable as well... just to see if that helps.

Also, when you say it can be restored in a few clicks, what buttons do I click in order to do so? If you could describe click by click that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021
The "Seagate" partition appears to be the one with your data. D-click it and expand the $Root. If you see your file/folder structure, go back, r-click the partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)". Then apply changes and reboot.
When I r-click the partition named "seagate" there isnt an option for 'insert the partition (undelete)' but there is the following;
-open volume
-full scan
-create image/clone

If I right click the $Root folder there is;
-Open
-Mark/unmark
-Recover $Root

TRENDING THREADS