Question New HDD not responsive, dead? Help

Charlie2688

Commendable
Sep 7, 2020
Hi Guys

I wanted your help, I just finished building my new rig, I booted it, and everything works like a charm except the HDD which is not showing up (but does appear in BIOS, devices and is recognized my several HDD related programs)

I tried the usual of initializing it with Windows Disk Manager, but I get the i/o error, also using other tools like Partition Wizard among others they can see the brand, model, capacity and that it has not been initialized but every attempt to do it or format it fails (usually get non descriptive errors or I don’t get the option to do X o Y)

Using WD HDD dashboard it can’t be formatted (gets simple error) and it mentions that is “locked”

Tried changing SATA cables, power cable and even plugging it to a different SATA port but no dice

Any recommendation on something else to try? I’ve had dead HDD before and usually I don’t get as much info from the PC regarding the HDD “existing” or it doesn’t spin/strange noises, this one (a WD Black 8TB) at a simple externa glance “works”

Appreciate all the help!

Charlie2688

Commendable
Sep 7, 2020
Is your HDD brand-new?

I have bought a WD HDD to use as backup drive, someone has encrypted the HDD with a WD tool so it's not usable. The only solution is to use a partition tool to destroy all the existing partitions and format it.

Yes, brand new, directly from Amazon, this is the first time something like this has happened, I've had my share of dead on arrival or that eventually die, this one is different so I am giving it a chance to see if it's fixable before sending it back

Yes, brand new, directly from Amazon, this is the first time something like this has happened, I've had my share of dead on arrival or that eventually die, this one is different so I am giving it a chance to see if it's fixable before sending it back

I think maybe there is some sort of security being enabled on the HDD.

Did you try other WD software like WD Security?

Does the drive spin up? Your post is not clear in this regard.

A locked drive is sometimes symptomatic of a drive that is identifying itself from the information in the flash memory on the PCB. Normally a drive would identify itself from the information in the hidden firmware area on the platters.

Newer drives won't spin up if 3.3V is present on SATA power pin #3. I don't know if they still identify themselves, though.

Charlie2688

Commendable
Sep 7, 2020
Does the drive spin up? Your post is not clear in this regard.

A locked drive is sometimes symptomatic of a drive that is identifying itself from the information in the flash memory on the PCB. Normally a drive would identify itself from the information in the hidden firmware area on the platters.

Newer drives won't spin up if 3.3V is present on SATA power pin #3. I don't know if they still identify themselves, though.

Yes, it spins, I changed the SATA cables and even mobo port, also the power cable and no change (that cable also has the AIO connected), the PC still sees that it exists, model, capacity and that is not initialized but every attempt to do it results in the infamous i/o error

Hi Guys

I wanted your help, I just finished building my new rig, I booted it, and everything works like a charm except the HDD which is not showing up (but does appear in BIOS, devices and is recognized my several HDD related programs)

I tried the usual of initializing it with Windows Disk Manager, but I get the i/o error, also using other tools like Partition Wizard among others they can see the brand, model, capacity and that it has not been initialized but every attempt to do it or format it fails (usually get non descriptive errors or I don’t get the option to do X o Y)
In Partition Wizard, did you select the menu Disk and then the Initialize to GPT menu item? This would need to be done before formatting.

Charlie2688

Commendable
Sep 7, 2020
In Partition Wizard, did you select the menu Disk and then the Initialize to GPT menu item? This would need to be done before formatting.

I tried but in partiton wizard gives me no options with the drive :(

Can you retrieve a SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo? The SMART data lives in the reserved firmware area on the platters (System Area, SA). If the drive cannot reach the SA, then this would point to an internal fault.
Thanks I am gonna try this tonight, if I can't get the info then the HDD is dead?

Reactions: dwd999
I don't know how else to explain it to you. When the drive powers up, it tries to load its firmware from a hidden area on the platters (SA). This is the same area where the SMART data lives. If the drive cannot report its SMART data, then this means that the heads cannot read the firmware area. This then points to a head fault, or media fault, or some other physical fault.

Charlie2688

Commendable
Sep 7, 2020
I don't know how else to explain it to you. When the drive powers up, it tries to load its firmware from a hidden area on the platters (SA). This is the same area where the SMART data lives. If the drive cannot report its SMART data, then this means that the heads cannot read the firmware area. This then points to a head fault, or media fault, or some other physical fault.

Got it! I will let you know what happends tonight 🥲

Now I am scared of buying WD, first it was Seagate with 2 dead HDD now this

Charlie2688

Commendable
Sep 7, 2020
Results
CrystalDiskInfo:
wGCMZmA.jpg

and WD Lifeguard

GtSmg6z.jpg

Charlie2688

Commendable
Sep 7, 2020
Results ready

Results ready