Question New High-Eend PC Gittering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MicroCutter

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Hi All

Hope yall are doing well

I'm no rookie when it comes to building PC's or troubleshooting issues with PC's but this one has me stumped. I've search on here for similiar issues (There are alot of threads) and I've tried several of remedies that are listed below, but none seem to resolve the issue, so here's to hoping that someone might be able to assist :)

So I recently build a new PC, everything was running fine until 2-3 weeks ago, all games started expericing a gittter, I orginally though it might be my ISP, but done agressive testing and it dosen't seem to be the issue, while also replacing the router.

My Issue is when gaming in league of legends or fortnite ( Don't really play many games anymore), I experince extreme gittering randomly and its graduely getting worse and worse (Have a video of it)

My PC Specs are the following, All base specs, NO Overclocking has been done to any of the parts :

OS: WIndows 11 (Oh I know, What a pile of c**p) - Freshly installed.
CPU: Intel i7 13700K
CPU Cooler: iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z790-E
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory
PSU: Corsair RMx Series™ RM850x
GPU: PNY GEFORCE RTXTM 4070Ti 12GB XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X
Storage 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB

Things I've tried:
Uninstall ALL other software (Back to bare OS)
Uninstalled Graphics Drivers(Safe Mode with DDU)
Update/reinstalled Graphics Drivers
Update BIOS Drivers to latest version
Uninstall sound drivers
Disable Sound drivers that not in use.
Lower GPU Voltage
Disable V-sync
Ran Memory test (All OK)
Lowered RAM to 5400MHz

UserBench Stats

Next step
Use an SSD I have with windows 10 and test its not the compents or possible drivers issues?

Anyone any more suggestions or know of any known issues that I might not be aware of? Or recommednations.

Last edited:

MicroCutter

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
I would 100% replace the PSU. it it's giving those readings just at desktop lol

I would also test with a multi meter while the system is running games just to confirm the reads are true but I would NOT recommend that unless you really know what your doing.
Haven't a clue lol plus don't own a multimeter :) Its a brand new PSU

D

Deleted member 2947362

I have currently an 850W PSU, Would you recommend the same wattage, or do you thinK i might need to jump to 1000W PSU?
sounds over kill to me but if you can afford a quality powerful PSU like 1000Watt you wont be worrying about a lack of power for your current config put it that way lol

2-3 weeks ago, all games started expericing a gittter, I orginally though it might be my ISP
you originally state that this is an issue that appears to be caused by your networking speeds not being able to keep up with your online games.

what have you done to prove that this is a personal hardware issue that has lead to a whole page of system diagnostics rather than still a connection problem?

have you run other off-line games that still experience the same sort of issues?

D

Deleted member 2947362

what are the lowest and current 12v readings after gaming for 10mins? you can also press windows key while the game is running to look at current voltage in aida64

D

Deleted member 2947362

you originally state that this is an issue that appears to be caused by your networking speeds not being able to keep up with your online games.

what have you done to prove that this is a personal hardware issue that has lead to a whole page of system diagnostics rather than still a connection problem?

have you run other off-line games that still experience the same sort of issues?
what you mean he's just getting lagg lol

I would still have the PSU looked at by someone with a multi meter the 12v looks weak for just being at desktop if Aida64 reading is true.

MicroCutter

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013

I've two ISP Lines coming into my house, Both have the same issue, I also turned on my old PC with a 1080ti in it, and no issues, tried hotspotting my phone on the new PC aswell and it still had these issues, So I narrowed it down to the computer rather than the internet.

Also if you look at the video, you can see my ping in the top right, is an almost constant number.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I mean look at the spikes on the CPU! if each spike is a jitter then thats nothing to do with internet

MicroCutter

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
I mean look at the spikes on the CPU! if each spike is a jitter then thats nothing to do with internet
I apprecaite your help with troubleshooting this :)

What I'll do is, replace the PSU tomorrow and also re-seat the CPU Cooler with new thermal paste and see if that helps at all, Will let you know how it goes :)

D

Deleted member 2947362

The power draw of the CPU is spiking up and down like a kangaroo on speed! and well over 200Watts lol

D

Deleted member 2947362

I cant say for 100% sure that replacing the PSU will cure your issue but either way if that PSU is really only at 11.80v-11.90v t just at desktop which is still most likely with in spec I cant remember the + and - % tolerance of PSU voltages but even so I have never seen one that low in all my years normally they are 12.1+ underload

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MicroCutter
D

Deleted member 2947362

In you best oponion, what should be my next steps to try resolve the issue other than replace the PSU?
If you have not already done tried it I would be the big o'l format and reinstalling everything, but maybe the PSU has an issue that's causing it.

what I would do if I was you is look into power draw characteristics of your CPU and see if your is acting differently than expected I don't know enough about your CPU but it looks aggressive to me or a bit over the top.

Reactions: MicroCutter
D

Deleted member 2947362

ok it is over heating 18% throttling it even says over heating detected lol
I couldn't read the red writing it so bloody small I was trying to read the red writing sitting 6ft away from my TV which my PC is connected to, makes it even harder to see the small writing.

I just put my more powerful glasses on and got closer to the TV screen lol and noticed it.

your CPU is Throttling.

That explains the jittering and also the power draw spikes.

Got there in the end lol

And if Aida64 is giving a correct voltage reading then I still think your PSU's 12v is meh even if it is within the + and - % tolerances

Oh and your going to need a really good cooler for that CPU is the cooler your using rated for over 250watt? Because that CPU can draw over 250watts!!
No wonder that 12v is 11.9v you might want that 1000watter after all just for overhead beathing space lol although you would think an 850 should be enough?
That's quite some load on that 850's 12volt rail when combined the the Graphics card 12v load and that has to be sustained for however long you need it.
But I'm not an expert on this so someone who knows more about PSU's would be your best bet if you know what size watt's to get.

MicroCutter

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
ok it is over heating 18% throttling it even says over heating detected lol
I couldn't read the red writing it so bloody small I was trying to read the red writing sitting 6ft away from my TV which my PC is connected to, makes it even harder to see the small writing.

I just put my more powerful glasses on and got closer to the TV screen lol and noticed it.

your CPU is Throttling.

That explains the jittering and also the power draw spikes.

Got there in the end lol

And if Aida64 is giving a correct voltage reading then I still think your PSU's 12v is meh even if it is within the + and - % tolerances

Oh and your going to need a really good cooler for that CPU is the cooler your using rated for over 250watt? Because that CPU can draw over 250watts!!
No wonder that 12v is 11.9v you might want that 1000watter after all just for overhead beathing space lol although you would think an 850 should be enough?
That's quite some load on that 850's 12volt rail when combined the the Graphics card 12v load and that has to be sustained for however long you need it.
But I'm not an expert on this so someone who knows more about PSU's would be your best bet if you know what size watt's to get.
Howdy

Did not get a chance to replace the PSU, The other one i have is only 750W, so i've decided against it.

I did install Windows 10 on another ssd I had laying around, and faced the same issues (Just to rule out driver issues), I also uninstall my GFX drivers on the windows 11, and installed an older one that was released before I started facing the issues.

The CPU Cooler I bought was recommended on a couple of posts for that CPU, which is the reason for buying it, so I thought it should have been ok? might turn up the fan's to max to see if its keeps it cooler and re-run aida

D

Deleted member 2947362

What way up have you installed the radiator ?

This issue should be easy to resolve now we know what the issue is, it's just a case of fine tuning the config of your hardware.

D

Deleted member 2947362

best way, just use aida run the stress test with just the CPU selected just to see if will hold it massive power draw and what it's draw is, which it should hold quite easy.

then test the others 1 at a time.

FPU and Cache will uber stress it, but it should be able to hold it depending on the temps which you can work from there , make sure heat sink is fitted and fully tightened.

Maybe even try re-pasting the CPU, use more paste rather than too little don't believe the myth less is better with your case.

MicroCutter

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
best way, just use aida run the stress test with just the CPU selected just to see if will hold it massive power draw and what it's draw is, which it should hold quite easy.

then test the others 1 at a time.

FPU and Cache it uber stress it but it should be able to hold it depending on the temps which you can work from there , make sure heat sink is fitted and fully tightened may re-paste use mor paste rather than too little don't believe the myth less is better with your case.
Just ran another stress test on Aida with all my fans and pump on extreme and I got zero CPU throttling, Gonna update my gfx drivers now and see if it causes any issues

D

Deleted member 2947362

Just ran another stress test on Aida with all my fans and pump on extreme and I got zero CPU throttling, Gonna update my gfx drivers now and see if it causes any issues
keep aida running to monitor the system (obviously not with the any of the stress teste running)

MicroCutter

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
keep aida running to monitor the system (obviously not with the any of the stress teste running)
Will do, I have all my pumps and fans on full, with no CPU Throttling at the moment, game is on max graphics, very minior jitter.

Please do correct me if i'm wrong here, But i'm limitting my FPS to 144 as I only have 144hz monitor, I would expect jitter is I was going above this in FPS as the monitor wouldn't keep up??