Question NEW high-end PC short Freezing/stuttering in games

Aug 14, 2022
ASUS TUF 3080
i7 12700k
Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS D4

I bought a new PC 6 months ago just before russia invaded Ukraine. I tested in for a few days and left my home. 1 week ago i received my new PC back and played games without any problems. I decided to reset Windows for security reasons because there were some programs from the sellers. After that, there are instant freeze/stuttering in the game every ~5-8seconds. Even sound is freezing so it is not related to the connection problems.
There was a problem with setting up cooler speed so i tried some programs that could help me to set it up.

What i did that could lead to this problem:
I tried Performance Tuning in Nvidia Experience and Asus Tweak. I reset it back
-i manually increased GPU and mem clock on 1-5%
-i changed RAM xmp profiles in bios (1,2,auto)
-i activated some Rapid technology in bios and PC won't launch so i turned it off again
-i activated "FAST" ai OC mode in ASUS BIOS

What i did to fix this:
-BIOS reset to default
-Clear Windows install so there was only browser, graphic drivers and the game
-Reinstalled the game
-Checked Temperatures and set coolers on max. Everything is below 70degree
-In Device Manager there is no devices without drivers
-Tested GPU in 3d Mark and FPS there was stable. In "hardware-easy" games there is no stuttering.

And it is still happening! I don't know what else i can do! My BIOS and system seem to be fully clean but this <Mod Edit> is still happening. PC is being working for about 2 week max from the day of purchase. Please help me to define this problem. I was really happy to get this PC with last generation of GPU/CPU but now i am super sad because there is a war and i cannot just send it to the seller for fix.

I recorded a video to demonstrate this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fau6hB5Ijf4

If my PC is clean and it is still happening then there is a hardware problem? I just want to find the problem and fix it.
Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 14, 2022
at first it showed problems with RAM with tip to enable XMP. I enabled it but there is an issue with GPU ranking :(
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54590521

I also can see "CPU Throttled 94%". I previously tried some tests and never saw this in AIDA because temps were not too high.
During this userbenchmark my fans were spinning 100% speed but. What i need to do to detect the problem better?

This is the temps and throttling info in AIDA during this userbenchmark and there is nothing special.
aaa.png

aaa2.png

3dMARK CPU TEST:
aaa3.png

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't worry on the gpu benchmark results,

202% Outstanding
this is fine.

I do see you have probably the first release bios, would myself update the bios to the latest version. Might be good to do that one newer bios version after bios version, which in this case is 8 versions, one of the moderators is very persistent in this so i'll give that advice.

You do the benchmark via vpn? Since it says you are located in the USA . Just curious.

There btw are more people that have "throttling" issues with userbenchmark with the 12xxx cpu's, think it's something of Userbenchmark itself that reads data/sensors wrong.

Aug 14, 2022
Wouldn't worry on the gpu benchmark results,

this is fine.

I do see you have probably the first release bios, would myself update the bios to the latest version. Might be good to do that one newer bios version after bios version, which in this case is 8 versions, one of the moderators is very persistent in this so i'll give that advice.

You do the benchmark via vpn? Since it says you are located in the USA . Just curious.

There btw are more people that have "throttling" issues with userbenchmark with the 12xxx cpu's, think it's something of Userbenchmark itself that reads data/sensors wrong.
Nope, im not using VPN. "Whois" sites clearly detect my IP as Ukrainian so idk why it showed USA. I made another few launches of this test and it still showed USA-user🤷‍♂️
I Will try to update BIOS but as i said i played with no problems for ~4 days before resetting windows so it might be not the main problem. I also tried to install an older version of video-driver but it didn't help.

Btw, i tried different in-game settings, and it does not really depend if the low or high settings.

Aug 14, 2022
Did you do a true clean install or a "reset" as can be done via windows itself?
The first time i made a clean reset from usb drive and after that, the problem started to appear. After that i tried to fix this by resetting Windows with the option to delete all programs and software but without formatting the disk.

I updated BIOS, i tried to install all possible drivers for a motherboard that Asus and intel provide and i tried to install old stable Nvidia drivers (v472) but it doesn't help. Dont know what else to do

Aug 14, 2022
previously i also launched this OC scan in gigabyte engine and Nvidia Experience just before the problem started to appear. For some reason, these graphs look different in different programs. Can it lead to the issue? If i set it to manual then this graph does not have any effect or it still saves the data somewhere?
xz2.png

the bottom graph is from msi afterburner

at first it showed problems with RAM with tip to enable XMP. I enabled it but there is an issue with GPU ranking :(
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54590521

I also can see "CPU Throttled 94%". I previously tried some tests and never saw this in AIDA because temps were not too high.
During this userbenchmark my fans were spinning 100% speed but. What i need to do to detect the problem better?

This is the temps and throttling info in AIDA during this userbenchmark and there is nothing special.
aaa.png

aaa2.png

3dMARK CPU TEST:
aaa3.png
Just for yuks.
Disable the e-cores.
Run UBM and post a link.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
By the looks of your posts, there is probably nothing wrong with your pc other than requiring a proper format {delete partitions} and reinstall of latest windows, then not playing around with all kinds of random settings or adding bloatware and just start playing a game, most likely you wont have issues then, if you still have issues after that you should look at what hardware is causing it by reposting here, and then can be figured out what, if there is any issue at all besides causing issues yourself by toying with the wrong things.

Sorry to say but it's quite commonplace for people who have new hardware to play with all kinds of apps and settings, And in my opinion and experience this is exactly what causes issues, beside the fact that there could be a underlying hardware fault.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022
By the looks of your posts, there is probably nothing wrong with your pc other than requiring a proper format {delete partitions} and reinstall of latest windows, then not playing around with all kinds of random settings or adding bloatware and just start playing a game, most likely you wont have issues then, if you still have issues after that you should look at what hardware is causing it by reposting here, and then can be figured out what, if there is any issue at all besides causing issues yourself by toying with the wrong things.

Sorry to say but it's quite commonplace for people who have new hardware to play with all kinds of apps and settings, And in my opinion and experience this is exactly what causes issues, beside the fact that there could be a underlying hardware fault.
I just see a button with no warning on the main screen of the popular program - i might press it. Also there was a button for AI OC in BIOS in the main screen so i pressed it to try. It will be pretty sad that these simple options might break some hardware if the manufacturer throws me those options in the face.

I launched Dota 2 on max and on min settings and this stuttering is just the same so its happening even when GPU and CPU loaded less than 30%! But in Dota for some reason, i cannot see these drops with my eyes and the sound is not lagging.
Why is it happening with so good PC specs? This is so frustrating to see :(

I just want to detect where the problem is. I really reinstalled windows clearly and then found this issue, then i reset windows without formatting. Im asking for some advice to detect where the issue could be. If there is no advice at all then i will try to format everything from the scratch but just dont want to do this in the third time if there are some other options.
Maybe i can launch monitoring with some other graphs option like clock speed or something else that also could be changed during these pikes?
Its just sad that during the war i can not have any decent support service. I wrote something in forums maybe years ago because i always trying to fix everything by myself but i wasted 3 days on understanding what is happening and nothing helped yet.

Aug 14, 2022
So i reinstalled windows from usb with formatting all disks and it is still the same or even worse. From the programs there are only Armory Crate (it is needed to be installed to have internet drivers) and it also automatically installed NVIDIA drivers 472. +steam +chrome
It is still stuttering and freezing EVEN MORE than it is in the previous video.
Also mention that Ram in userbench showed poor latency but it have 16 timings. Why is so?
What i can do to detect the issue? I need to know what hardware problem that is so i can try to send it directly to the manufacturer.

Aug 14, 2022
I used HWInfo by recomendation and i can see some issues with Performance Limit while im in the game.
So thats some hardware problems? what i can do to fix this or how i can explain this to make it go by warranty?
The full log is in the "HWInfo from Apex Lenegds" in the folder by the link i posted above
gpu.png

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
One, can't see stutters in that vid, also do you limit fps since at ~160 all the time? See a few fps dips from 160 to maybe 157 ..... ?

From the programs there are only Armory Crate (it is needed to be installed to have internet drivers)
If you do need internet (LAN) drivers download them (latest) from the site of the motherboard and put them on a usb stick, install from there.

it also automatically installed NVIDIA drivers 472. +steam +chrome
Nvidia is an old version, always install the latest version yourself.

Download of chrome can only be armory crate, would get rid of armory crate for now. If you need/want chrome install the latest version again yourself and that goes for about very tool program needed .

Aug 14, 2022
One, can't see stutters in that vid, also do you limit fps since at ~160 all the time? See a few fps dips from 160 to maybe 157 ..... ?

If you do need internet (LAN) drivers download them (latest) from the site of the motherboard and put them on a usb stick, install from there.

Nvidia is an old version, always install the latest version yourself.

Download of chrome can only be armory crate, would get rid of armory crate for now. If you need/want chrome install the latest version again yourself and that goes for about very tool program needed .
You can see the graph on the left top side of the screen. Each time it drops the line to the bottom there is a stutter because fps dropped to 0. Yes I limit the fps because my monitor refresh rate is 160hz and I have GSync. You might not see lags because the video is 30fps.

I know that I can use a USB stick, just stayed why I installed this program but not because I don't know about usb-drive.

472 is the stable version. It is recommended to try this version for everyone who experiences issues with new drivers. It does not change much anyway.

I really doubt sitting with a high-end PC and having 0 programs because it can issue lags. Armory Crate is an official program that installed official drivers for the motherboard. It might be the latest thing that issuing lags. I can delete it and I already did it previously - it did not helped but there is a need to control coolers speed and LED.

I really will be grateful if anyone here can give advice about hardware and look at logs that I dropped with a link to google-drive before.

The forum is called "tomsHARDWARE"😀 but I got only suggestions to delete everything which is like the advice from internet-provider support - "reload the wifi router, disconnect and connect again patchcord, check your computer on viruses etc. "

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
For your info, i was looking at the log, am one of the few that even on accasion asks for these, but i'd wish he would make a more basic version again, so much stuff added it's not fun anymore (almost a pain) to sift through with these extended logs.

See dips in gpu usage to even 0 every now and then,
see spikes in certain cpu temps at the same time,
yet again all core utilization percentage of the cpu drops,
but at another column the all core (Max cpu/thread utilization) rizes,
Also a very small dip in memory usage

All these things above mentioned are from the same row.

Also see command rate of 2 on the ram which with just two sticks should be able to run at 1.

Did you btw check this in windows?

PU throttled at 95% by Windows. Ensure maximum processor state is set to 100% via Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.

wonder if windows 11 might be a cure for the odd cpu utilization.

Tried disabling the e-cores in the bios? See if that makes a difference.

Aug 14, 2022
I should not listen to this:
But I should listen to this:
Just for yuks.
Disable the e-cores.
Run UBM and post a link.

In the end, I wasted almost 2 months on this sh*t but I found the problem... after disabling E-cores everything is smooth and there are some quite rare lags. At the same time, the processor can be easy to throttle in any stress test but it is fine with ecores.

So disabling e-cores is not the best choice because of higher temps and decreasing performance possibilities but playing with e-cores is lagging too much.

Aug 14, 2022
See if another cpu cooler, a better one, or underclocking the cpu will help with throttling. Enough tutorials online about underclocking.
I have a good cooling (Aorus Waterforce x 240) and big case with 4 coolers (asus gt501). There is no throttling while E-cores are ON. It became to overheat while they are off for some reason. Also, I believe, as you said, that Userbenchmark is lying about throttling because I can not see such info in AIDA. I don't want to underclock it, it is quite fine in tests while everything in stock settings (with xmp).
The issue is that I cannot play some games with E-cores but without them, the processor is getting overheat

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Thing is that with the "E" cores disabled all what is going on in the pc is handled by the "P" cores which just do use more power and with all the stress on these, since they can not offload on the "E " cores, it is probably a reasonable deduction that they will run even hotter.

Aug 14, 2022
Thing is that with the "E" cores disabled all what is going on in the pc is handled by the "P" cores which just do use more power and with all the stress on these, since they can not offload on the "E " cores, it is probably a reasonable deduction that they will run even hotter.
I also found that the real issue is that my cores are parked most of the time even when I'm playing games and the game can perform much better. So the system does not understand that the machine requires more performance so it needs more cores and that's why it's lagging. Seems like unparking cores takes some time and because of that, there are freezes or just because most of the cores are parked and the machine can not perform at full power. When I managed to unpark all cores with the command line - I can see no issues.... I wasted almost 2 months to find this.
What is this? Intel is terrible. They can not work with Microsoft to improve the performance of their latest generation or I just have a broken item?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Did you play with settings within the windows energy settings? Change to maximum performance if not on that already for instance.

Have seen some threads about a tool called "Throttlestop", can google that one and try it out if what you read might help you.

Since on windows 10 might that also stay a thing, windows 11 is more optimized for Intel 12 gen (and newer).