[SOLVED] New home - no Ethernet plug ins ? Am I going crazy?

Dec 23, 2019
I just bought a new construction home and realized there are no Ethernet plug ins, only 4 wire prongs. Every tv port in my house (even the ones that are like 6 feet above the ground level) are these 4 wire prongs .. phone lines?!?! Is this a huge mistake by the contractor ?? Am I looking at this wrong ??? My office does not have an Ethernet plugin . What to do ? I game and want Ethernet? What do these 4 wire prongs do ? What would the purpose of putting 8 phone lines in a home be ?? I am very upset over this and just trying to figure out if I am looking at this correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edited:

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Doubt that you are crazy.

Unfortunately in some areas low voltage wiring (50 volts or less) do not require electricians or any sort of installation certifications.

Home owners are permitted to do the work themselves. Or hire someone.

And home builders can do the same.

Telephone lines, ethernet cable runs, speaker/audio/sound systems, security systems are all low voltage.

Did you contract to have the home built or simply bought a home that a contractor/speculator built?

All you can do is look at the contract(s) to determine what was specified.

Do not know where you live (and not asking) but there may be building codes and inspection requirements.

Outlets 6 feet above the floor/ground level? Seems very much a mistake. Even with new building codes regarding flooding etc. the installation makes no sense to me. Could be placed for wall mounted flat screen TVs.

6 Wires: RJ-12 perhaps.

However the green cable appears to me to have 8 wires. Anything printed along the sides of the green cable?

Do you have building inspectors to call in?

You need professional and perhaps legal assistance.

Dec 23, 2019
I bought a home that a contractor/speculator built. Basically predesigned ...get to pick some stuff. The rest of the house is very updated...i mean AC and alarm system is all high tech. Camera is installed outside and everything. The outlets at 6 feet are installed for wall mounted TVs ...but wouldnt the TVs use ethernets..Not a phone line???
I dont see anything printed along the sides of the green cable. I had an inspector come in but i doubt they looked at that or just didnt realize it.
Thank you for your input and help.

Dec 23, 2019
I pulled the green cord out and it said this "CAT5E - ETL LISTED 5002121 (ETL) CMR FT4 75C 24AWG SOL BC 4PR UTP EN50575:2014 cc Eva RoHS EC ZONE/DEVICE"

Old school installer dude installing old school landline connections.
Yep, the electricians that say 'I know how to wire computer jacks!'. I dealt with this problem in 1995 and it's still around today. :mad:

The good thing is that the wire is cat5e, so with proper termination on both ends, you've should be able to get a gigabit network working.

Now the other very important thing to check is where the other end of the wire goes and how that looks...I suspecting you're going to have to redo all that too. :(

Ralston18

Titan
And, I will add, start making a sketch of the wiring as best you can.

Trace the connections from end to end. From outlet to where (as suggested) the other end of the wire is located.

Use a copy of the house floor plan to get a sense of the bigger picture. Look at each jack, take photos, find the cable paths. There may be some surprises along the way.....

Take photos of where all the wires originate. The wires could be hanging from the wall, or punched down in some manner. May or may not be correct and most likely - not.

Hopefully the installer left some extra wire inside the wall (service loop) to provide enough slack to re-terminate the cables.

Do make sure to use the proper RJ-45 connectors and a consistent termination T-568B. Be careful about the connector orientation.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I just bought a new construction home and realized there are no Ethernet plug ins, only 4 wire prongs. Every tv port in my house (even the ones that are like 6 feet above the ground level) are these 4 wire prongs .. phone lines?!?! Is this a huge mistake by the contractor ?? Am I looking at this wrong ??? My office does not have an Ethernet plugin . What to do ? I game and want Ethernet? What do these 4 wire prongs do ? What would the purpose of putting 8 phone lines in a home be ?? I am very upset over this and just trying to figure out if I am looking at this correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edited:

Anymore the wiring is all Cat5e or better so it can be converted to ethernet rather easily. Just change the ending punch downs. Almost all the new houses I see built have modular jacks that pop in and out of the plate. I would call the builder and see about getting them to do it, as anyone else is going to charge you but I don't know what your purchase agreement looks like you may have signed for them to be phone becasue its usually cheaper to punch down half the wires and not need a low voltage electricians license like some states require.

Usually it is a levitron like system in which they just remove the RJ-14 jacks and switch them out with RJ-45 then punch down all 8 wires.
Plate:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...gle-Gang-Wall-Plate-White-41091-2WN/100669788

Modular Jack:
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/5ehom-bw5

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019
Just wanted to say thank you all for your help. Truly appreciated. I have contacted my builder and waiting for a final response to this matter. Will keep yall updated for anyone curious about what happens here (probably won't be until the 26th-27th due to Christmas). But again, truly, yall have helped me so much..I was completely lost in this matter.

Reactions: SamirD