[SOLVED] New home server build advice

stevchik

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I am looking to build new home server to run: Plex, Home Assistant (Docker) and Blue Iris. I am planning to overprovision to make sure it can last for a while. Very new to building systems and feedback is greatly appreciated. Here are components I selected this far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 3.6GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151 Boxed Processor
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th And 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Gigabit LAN

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit – Black
SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive R/W 3500/3000MB/s SSD (ASX8200PNP-512GT-C)
HDD: 2 x Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch Sata 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 256MB Cache

Case: LIAN LI LANCOOL 2 BLACK Tempered Glass ATX Case -Black Color -LANCOOL II -X
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP, CPU Cooler
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

Few questions:

Will this case work for the large cpu cooler I selected?
Can I get by with a smaller power supply?
Do I need a Video Card ?

Thank you!

Solution
I was not planning to mirror drives. Need10 +TB to keep footage from 6-7 cameras. We use online backup service for data we can not afford to loose.
After doing more research, decided to replace CPU cooler with Noctua NH-D15S, Premium Dual-Tower CPU Cooler. Seems to get better rating and a bit less expensive. Thank you

If that works for you then by all means go for it. Other than that your rig looks plenty enough for running all the software you mentioned above simultaneously. No GPU required. You may need a switch though if you don't have one since you will be using Blue iris (if you are talking about the CCTV software). Preferably one with PoE if you're getting cameras that utilize that feature. But perhaps you already have...
  1. The cpu cooler is 162mm in height, the case can handle up to 176mm coolers
  2. You most definitely can get away with a smaller power supply. A 450w will be plenty. Look at my signature and see the Server column, all that only uses about 165W of power total, and I use it as a plex, NAS, and family VM machine (linux and windows 10 vm running for remote access). You can get away with less.
  3. No you don't need a video card. The 9700K has built in graphics and should work if all you need graphics for is to see a display at first to configure settings. You can later do all configuration remotely once you've set it up initially.
The rig is plenty fine for a home plex server, etc. My only thought would be if you have 2 4TB drives, will they be in raid 1 (mirror)? That way you are protected if one drive fails. If not, how will you be backing up your data?

stevchik

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I was not planning to mirror drives. Need10 +TB to keep footage from 6-7 cameras. We use online backup service for data we can not afford to loose.
After doing more research, decided to replace CPU cooler with Noctua NH-D15S, Premium Dual-Tower CPU Cooler. Seems to get better rating and a bit less expensive. Thank you

If that works for you then by all means go for it. Other than that your rig looks plenty enough for running all the software you mentioned above simultaneously. No GPU required. You may need a switch though if you don't have one since you will be using Blue iris (if you are talking about the CCTV software). Preferably one with PoE if you're getting cameras that utilize that feature. But perhaps you already have that issue handled.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS