[SOLVED] "new" i7 4790k with "VN" where the country name should be

Apr 1, 2021
just bought a 4790k cpu as new off amazon. it didnt come in an intel box and i question the "VN" in the spot where the country of manufacture should be.
i googled a bit and found a couple with the VN that were "renewed"
anyone know if VN can also be on a new cpu?

Solution
be very skeptical if it's listed as new and I recall the VIETNAM was is full type not abbreviated on the 4790K. may be a knockoff or salvaged part
Even if it was salvaged or used, it would still have the full 'vietnam' on it. It's only when people are playing around with heatspreaders and making fakes that anomolies occur. It's also important to note that this is only a bad fake--the good fakes look identical to the real thing until there's a warranty issue or odd-malwary behavior is happening until a genuine chip solves the issue.

I have some fake x5460 in one of my servers that was sold as a used server pull. They always acted a bit funny in that they seemed like they were too slow or too 'busy' for what they should...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
just bought a 4790k cpu as new off amazon. it didnt come in an intel box and i question the "VN" in the spot where the country of manufacture should be.

I believe that's from their Vietnam assembly.l

It's only new if it's been sitting around for a few years at least unused. Intel dragged out the life of a few low-power Haswell chips, but the higher power Haswell/Devil's Canyon CPUs have been end-of-lifed for a while.

Apr 1, 2021
I believe that's from their Vietnam assembly.l

It's only new if it's been sitting around for a few years at least unused. Intel dragged out the life of a few low-power Haswell chips, but the higher power Haswell/Devil's Canyon CPUs have been end-of-lifed for a while.
cant tell if you are talking about my purchasing choices. i know its old. i have reasons. i know they have been out of print for ages. i know there is stock of many out of print things in the world. they get sold some times.
i know VN is short for vietnam. i know i can not find one anywhere that is listed as new with VN on it. only 2 renewed cpus. if it was legit, i would imagine i would see some photos online that are not listed as renewed.
i didnt want to buy from this guy(low sale count) but he pretty much is the only seller with "new" ones.
possibly at the xxx <MODERATOR EDIT for PROFANITY> end or the mfr of this chip they started labeling VN. could have sworn i saw VN on chips b4. pretty weird i cant find anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
forums with the whole "down vote" thing. what a 2nd grade joke. i didnt expect this site to be so petty

Sensitive little flower aren't you? The up and down vote thing is not intended specifically for threads such as this, it's more useful when some people come in with BS answers to technical questions. I don't know why, but some people like to spout totally incorrect information, most likely because they're the type of person who always wants to be right even though they don't check their fact sources. Happens a lot. So down voting answers like that actually helps others who are having the same problem and are researching a correct answer to their problem, so they don't even need to post and ask. They can just get their answer and up vote the correct answer given to reinforce the opinion that it is in fact a correct answer and a working solution.

And what is also starting to happen more is people coming along here and asking for help, while also stinking the place up with their attitude. That is most likely why you've been down voted, because the very first answer you got was totally appropriate and was not criticising your purchasing choice. But for some arcane reason you decided to take that personally, although you did say you were "not sure" if your buying purchase was being criticised. Well if you're not sure, why not wait until you are sure before you throw your toys out of the pram?

FWIW I agree with @DSzymborski, the VN likely denotes Vietnam and that chip will only be brand new if it has been sat around in stock for some time. Doesn't matter if it's new or not, it's been and still is to a large degree one of the best chips Intel ever made and is still relevant now. So you haven't bought a bad chip. Again, we get a lot of people come along here, was one the other day where a guy had paid an extortionate price for an old FX chip. A lot of people down voted his answer with the price, which enabled a lot of people to quickly reinforce the original negative response to the post with the price using the up or down vote system. The original poster then knew he had to return the chip as he was clearly being ripped off. I'm sure you'd want others to do the same for you were you to be in that situation.

It's actually very useful. Maybe a quick reboot of the attitude is needed in order to realise that the very first post in response to yours was not a criticism of your buying choices, as well as the fact that the up and down vote system is intended to actually help people and only seems to get used in this context against those whose attitude appears questionable.

Maybe yours won't be now that you've had an explanation as to why you should be grateful for the first answer, up vote that answer and select it as the best solution.

Generally if it's something that's not being made by the original manufacturer, and is 'new', and has any type of flaw that an original wouldn't, and is being sold on a 'marketplace' site--it's a fake.

True. I don't think that's the case here though, I think the OP has merely purchased a chip manufactured in Vietnam and as you and I both know, the 4790k is still very much relevant, especially given the state of hardware availability at the moment.

EDIT: A photo would be extremely useful here to know for sure the answer.

Last edited:
be very skeptical if it's listed as new and I recall the VIETNAM was is full type not abbreviated on the 4790K. may be a knockoff or salvaged part

Reactions: SamirD
True. I don't think that's the case here though, I think the OP has merely purchased a chip manufactured in Vietnam and as you and I both know, the 4790k is still very much relevant, especially given the state of hardware availability at the moment.

EDIT: A photo would be extremely useful here to know for sure the answer.
I think it's a fake almost 100% since I don't know of a 4790k that came from Intel that didn't have the place of manufacture spelled out. I have a 4790k that I got used and it's definitely a great upgrade for that socket.

Even if it was salvaged or used, it would still have the full 'vietnam' on it. It's only when people are playing around with heatspreaders and making fakes that anomolies occur. It's also important to note that this is only a bad fake--the good fakes look identical to the real thing until there's a warranty issue or odd-malwary behavior is happening until a genuine chip solves the issue.

I have some fake x5460 in one of my servers that was sold as a used server pull. They always acted a bit funny in that they seemed like they were too slow or too 'busy' for what they should be and only 2 years later after I ran across an Intel validating program did I discover that they were fakes. I think I have some genuine ones now and plan to swap them over and see if that fixes the issues, which I 100% believe they will. Now the question is what have those processors been doing while they've been 'busy' and can I get a refund for fake goods from ebay even though it's years later. The best thing is to skip all this hassle and buy from the classifies from forums like these--the amount of effort needed to post keeps most of the fakers and scammers away. Plus, the traceability.

Solution
I think it's a fake almost 100% since I don't know of a 4790k that came from Intel that didn't have the place of manufacture spelled out. I have a 4790k that I got used and it's definitely a great upgrade for that socket.

Like I say, a photo or CPU-Z screen would be very useful. I'm thinking it might me a chip where the manufacturer location has rubbed off or it has been lapped and the OP is looking at some different part of the text on the chip.