New Install - NO monitor signal

Changalang

Reputable
Apr 6, 2016
Community,

Just got myself a 1060 GTX extreme. Installed, booted, no monitor signal. I did troubleshooting figured out my mobo is fine. Computer does boot (caps lock test). and that my monitor/cables are fine (used my other computer to test monitor).

As such I just read somewhere that when you do a new install of the graphics card, it auto disables onboard graphics. Is this true? If so this might be the cause for loss of signal.

So i then decided to BIOS, set display as IGP, boot with GPU in. Install drivers. Reboot. BIOS, set display to PCIEX (per thats the slot my GPU is in) aaaaand black screen.

I just ordered a HDMI to VGA cable as well as VGA to DPI cable so i may plug directly into the GPU as opposed to MOBO.

Am i on the right track or am i completely off? Just trying to get some friggin signal to my monitor with my new GPU. Again 1060 GTX extreme (has no VGA port). Thank you all for your help.

D

Deleted member 217926

You're using a graphics card now the monitor has to plug into the card. It plugs into the motherboard for onboard graphics only.....

Changalang

Reputable
Apr 6, 2016

Correctamundo. But HDMI direct from the monitor into the GPU provided no signal either. Only got a signal with the GPU in when i designated in BIOS to use onboard graphics. Anytime it was slotted to PCIE i got nothing even with the direct HDMI connection.

D

Deleted member 217926

I guess I'm confused then. Sounded like you expected to get a signal from the graphics card while the monitor was plugged into the motherboard.

Did you:
Reseat the card?
Check the PCI-E power cables?

Complete system specs including power supply make and model?

Changalang

Reputable
Apr 6, 2016

i5 4460
GIGABYTE GA-B85M-HD3 LGA1150 MOBO
Gigabyte GTX 1060 Extreme
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
EVGA Supernova 750W B2
WD Caviar blue 1TB
LG 23MP47HQ monitor

Yea i reseated. Are there power cables outside of the GPU and 2x4pin near the CPU on the MOBO i need to connect? Am I missing something? Lights and fans on GPU work currently. just no signal unless i designate onboard display via BIOS.

Changalang

Reputable
Apr 6, 2016

active adapter as in? Sorry super new. I just bought an adapter off amazon that said vga to HDMI

Changalang

Reputable
Apr 6, 2016

Got it, should come in the mail tomorrow. SO, that means go in to BIOS. set display as PCIE. Then connect directly from the GPU to the monitor (using an active HDMI to VGA adapter)?

What if this doesnt work? Do i have to set the gpu has the main source of display via device manager or something too?