Question New installed GPU, fan is spinning but black screen (Windows ME)

Jan 10, 2023
Hi,

I have an old computer (Compaq Deskpro 4000S) I want to upgrade. It is the first time I am trying to upgrade a PC and I can't find out whats wrong.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I recently bought a new GPU from Ebay (GeForce FX5500 256MB 128 Bit DDR PCI Graphics card VGA+DVI)
GetAttachmentThumbnail

When I am installing the new GPU in my computer the fan starts to spin.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

But it doesn't show anything on the screen the monitor can't find the computer, as it did before it was installed.
I've tried connecting the VGA cable to both ports without succes.

My PC specs are:
System - Microsoft Windows Me
Processor - Genuine Intel (Intel Pentium(r) II)
Ram - 512 MB

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Thanks in advance!

DavidM012

Distinguished
probly just incompatible it's a 2004 card while the compaq probly has a proprietary compaq mobo from 1997 I could test it in meh sabertooth 990fx because I've still got a pci slot. Ask someone who has got a more modern but still outdated machine and it should be more backwards compatible than forwards

Jan 10, 2023
probly just incompatible it's a 2004 card while the compaq probly has a proprietary compaq mobo from 1997 I could test it in meh sabertooth 990fx because I've still got a pci slot. Ask someone who has got a more modern but still outdated machine and it should be more backwards compatible than forwards

Thanks I'll try that.

If it works, do I then need a newer motherboard for it to work?
Can a ATC-5200 motherboard do the job?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Just a later than 2004 mobo atc-5200 is 1998 so probly same problem just the bios don't know the later cards. You can test the theory but you still wouldn't be sure if it's either simply not working or if it's just incompatible if it doesn't start.

Or maybe like 2002 era mobo might've been compatible enough if they were aiming the card at the desktop market.

You just never know with some old hardware kind of developed in fits and starts and new things were emerging all the time and old stuff just didn't have a lot of future proofing.