News New Intel "Core Ultra 7" CPU Benchmark Spotted

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Will the name match the performance? I prefer the simple Core with out modifiers, but if there is a huge battery/power difference maybe warranted? I liked how they came back from the ugly Ice/Tiger lake naming (Adding a G1/G4/G7 graphic modifier).

You shouldn't need a decoder ring to understand what a product generation and performance class is. Less is more

Yes, they just dropped the "i" letter for Ultra. This new naming/branding idea is super confusing for the end user though.

I think the upcoming chips will be divided into three major categories (just my prediction, so it doesn't make much sense for now):
  1. Intel Core 3/5/7 (maybe they can divide this into pro/max variants ?)
  2. Intel Core Ultra 3/5/7
  3. Intel Core Extreme 3/5/7
So the low-end CPUs, like the non-K offerings, might be stacked into the base Core lineup/number 1. Non-K pro/max ? And then the Ultra chips will be designed for a more high-end audience and mainstream gamers, who want the best performance from their setups.

Lastly, the Extreme lineup, on the other hand, could be designed for overclockers/enthusiasts ? /end of prediction.

Reactions: ikjadoon

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Instead of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a marketing company to come up with a new naming idea this dumb, they could have just given the money to me. I'm really good at stupid ideas.... Just sayin'...

Reactions: King_V
I keep hoping this stuff is either a fever dream or someone messing with naming in benchmarks because it makes no sense. Intel could use a streamline in naming just because of how they've shifted mobile naming, but this is not the way to do it.

Reactions: King_V

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I keep hoping this stuff is either a fever dream or someone messing with naming in benchmarks because it makes no sense. Intel could use a streamline in naming just because of how they've shifted mobile naming, but this is not the way to do it.
They are just following Apple's naming convention (<no buz name>, pro, max, ultra), only with way more complication because it's Intel.

They are just following Apple's naming convention (<no buz name>, pro, max, ultra), only with way more complication because it's Intel.
I think you're right about the mimicking Apple with the naming convention, and due to SKU count they don't have a choice but to make it complicated.

While desktop is typically pretty straightforward I've never quite grasped why they have such a problem with mobile naming. They've mostly got the right idea, but they need to pick either 4 digit or 5 digit as their choice and stick with it. I'd say they could identify number of P/E in the naming, but I have a feeling cores aren't going to be that simple going forward.

Reactions: JamesJones44
Apr 7, 2023
Kind of reminds me of Core 2 Solo, Duo, Quad, and Extreme. Also kind of like Gigabyte, with Aorus Master, Elite, Extreme, Ultra...

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Instead of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a marketing company to come up with a new naming idea this dumb, they could have just given the money to me. I'm really good at stupid ideas.... Just sayin'...
frankly the money could have been spent on making there socket life span longer !!
investing it R&D with 3d v cache !!
and Intel ARC gpu's

investing it R&D with 3d v cache !!
and Intel ARC gpu's
They already did that, intel cpu max.
Intel_Max_Series_product_information.jpg