Question New-ish PC, Any ideas for a socket 775 cooler?

Apr 17, 2022
Hi everyone, as the title says does anyone have any Ideas for a LGA775 cooler I can get of Amazon? My PC is a SFF Lenovo m58p. I can attach images as sometimes google shows the incorrect version.

Why do you think you need a new cooler?
How much height is available for a cooler on your pc?
Normally, a sff case will have limited room and not be able to handle anything bigger than the Intel stock cooler.

Yes, an image of the inside of the case would be helpful

Apr 17, 2022
Hi there, I think I might need a new cooler because I upgraded the CPU from a C2D e7500 to a C2Q Q9400, So while the Factory cooler was more then enough for the dual core it was not enough to cool the C2Q Which idles at 110 F and goes to 180F when I start gaming (Beamng Drive). I have already applied a fresh layer of Arctic MX-4 which still didn't yield any results. As for height that is not a worry for me as I had to remove the lid because I couldn't find a sff GTX 1050ti. But how do I upload images?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Arctic Alpine 12, Cooler Master i30, Noctua L9....pretty much any type of "pancake" cooler (could) fit. You are likely going to have to....well, if you are using this machine without it's side panel/lid then the only concern should be room to the memory. In that case perhaps something like the Hyper 212, Snowman, Mugen, etc. type inexpensive tower coolers.

Use Imgur for hosting and link them here.

Apr 17, 2022
8Ik3wUX.jpg
HzVkVLW.jpg
YziVnQi.jpg

Apr 17, 2022
Arctic Alpine 12, Cooler Master i30, Noctua L9....pretty much any type of "pancake" cooler (could) fit. You are likely going to have to....well, if you are using this machine without it's side panel/lid then the only concern should be room to the memory. In that case perhaps something like the Hyper 212, Snowman, Mugen, etc. type inexpensive tower coolers.

Use Imgur for hosting and link them here.
The L9 seems like a good fit but it seems pricey Ill save up for it. The last bit is that I dont know if if the Dvd drive would obstruct the mounting holes as I have another cooler that I took out from another 775 socket PC but the dvd drive blocks it.

Non-standard motherboard. You might have a problem fitting typical coolers. You have to remove current cooler, then measure all distances to make sure new cooler will fit in all dimensions, not just height. Also while there check if mounting holes are standard for LGA775. Because if not you are most likely out of options.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Lol, funny your username and the leftover remnants of the warranty sticker on the cooler.

By the picture it almost appears that the GPU is actually over one corner of the cooler mount. That is one of those wacky proprietary blower coolers. I have seen them inside Dell machines as well. IDK if even the Noctua is going to clear that.

edit- running this CPU at 82C is about 11C hotter than it's designed for. I really cannot recall how well the older Core2 processors were about throttling. As an aside this type of heat and power draw could damage the VRM on that motherboard.

Might consider doing some search around, perhaps ask of some friends and such if they have an older tower type PC with a compatible board. Maybe look around on CL, Letgo, or whatever is the local swap meet type site just to see if you can find something to transplant that CPU into, or even perhaps something 1st or 2nd gen "i" series to replace this with.

What is your room temperature?
That is the starting point.
Normal idling is 10-15c. over ambient.
Since your case is open, room temp and ambient are about the same.
110f. is 43c. I do not think you are really doing badly.
Load of 180f(83c) is not a problem.
The throttle point is about 100c.

Here is a link to the question on a similar upgrade:

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Since there is already a level of home engineering going on...perhaps take something like a 120/140mm fan connect it to an available power source like a molex adapter off the DVD drive or such and zip tie it in directly over the (left side of cooler) CPU blowing down?

Not elegant, but it might help some. Maybe.

Apr 17, 2022
Thank you everyone for all your comments as for my room tempeature according to some clock I bought at RadioShack its 76.2 F in my room, And yes my Gpu is overlapping my cooler mainly because I had to get a full size GPU as the sff version was way more expensive. While I would install another fan I dont have many other options as The psu only has the bare bones connectors(Atx, Atx 12v, and 2 Sata connectors) I have a spare HP compaq sff that I stripped to the barebones for parts, I could theoretically chuck the CPU and GPU the PSU is only 240w and The socket has some missing pins While I could go and get a new PC I cant as I am not old enough to drive and none of my parents are willing to do so. That means the current PC I have will have to do.

Apr 17, 2022
Ok so just so everyone knows from this point on this is a completely different topic

So basically I have worked something out with my parents for a new computer, Here are some parts I picked out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099TKZX5Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Mobo

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...s=electronics&sprefix=,electronics,62&sr=1-18
RAM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MHSTWN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
CPU

I found some old free mATX antec case which I like and it came with a non modular 400w Corsair PSU. Anyone know if it may cause problems? As for Cooler and GPU im still going to use my GTX 1050 Ti and use the Intel stock cooler thats in the box. And last but not least would there happen to be any compatibility problems? Thanks!

Last edited: