Question New-ish PC gets a sudden drop in FPS for no reason after like 2 weeks of use ?

Jun 23, 2021
My specs are
GTX 1650
Ryzen 5 PRO 3600
16gb RAM
500gb Storage

My PC was able to run Battlefront 2 at ultra settings at 80FPS. Most of my storage was used up before the problem started (about 100gbs of free storage left). I got battlefront 2015 for nostalgic reasons, and I waited 2 hours for it to download. After it downloaded, I played for a bit at ultra settings. It was only going at 9 FPS. I immediately thought that I needed a driver update, so I left my pc on to download (not install) the driver. I woke up, the driver wasn't even installed. So I went to the nvidia website to actually install the driver. I then restarted the computer and started up Battlefront. No improvement. I thought that was the only game with the problem.

So I tested Battlefront 2. It was even worse than Battlefront 1.

Every game I have now runs at 5-25 FPS excluding TF2 (which runs at like 200FPS). This all started after Battlefront 2015 had finished installing. After installing, I had 60-40gbs of free storage space. Before this, I had a problem with overheating CPU, which I fixed with new thermal paste. I opened up MSI afterburner and it said that my GPU was at 100% usage while the CPU was at 15% usage. Usually under load, the CPU was at 50-80% usage and my GPU was at 30% usage.

I think I've overused my PC, but that is highly unlikely. My CPU under load was usually at 60-80 degrees celsius and my GPU under load was usually at 30 degrees. Now, under load my CPU is at 30-60 (which either means that it's not being used enough to get decent frames or my cooling somehow got wayyyyy better) and my GPU under load is still at 30 degrees.

Please help.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Please include the age of the unit as well. Same goes for your motherboard. Might also want to check and see what BIOS version it's on at the time of writing. As for your FPS, download the latest GPU driver from Nvidia's support site, use DDU to uninstall said driver, reboot, then manually reinstall GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Might want to pull up Windows Task manager and see what your resource usages are when idle. Speaking of Windows, what version of Windows 10 are you on?

Jun 23, 2021
My specs are
GTX 1650
Ryzen 5 PRO 3600
16gb RAM
500gb Storage

My PC was able to run Battlefront 2 at ultra settings at 80FPS. Most of my storage was used up before the problem started (about 100gbs of free storage left). I got battlefront 2015 for nostalgic reasons, and I waited 2 hours for it to download. After it downloaded, I played for a bit at ultra settings. It was only going at 9 FPS. I immediately thought that I needed a driver update, so I left my pc on to download (not install) the driver. I woke up, the driver wasn't even installed. So I went to the nvidia website to actually install the driver. I then restarted the computer and started up Battlefront. No improvement. I thought that was the only game with the problem.

So I tested Battlefront 2. It was even worse than Battlefront 1.

Every game I have now runs at 5-25 FPS excluding TF2 (which runs at like 200FPS). This all started after Battlefront 2015 had finished installing. After installing, I had 60-40gbs of free storage space. Before this, I had a problem with overheating CPU, which I fixed with new thermal paste. I opened up MSI afterburner and it said that my GPU was at 100% usage while the CPU was at 15% usage. Usually under load, the CPU was at 50-80% usage and my GPU was at 30% usage.

I think I've overused my PC, but that is highly unlikely. My CPU under load was usually at 60-80 degrees celsius and my GPU under load was usually at 30 degrees. Now, under load my CPU is at 30-60 (which either means that it's not being used enough to get decent frames or my cooling somehow got wayyyyy better) and my GPU under load is still at 30 degrees.

Please help.

I feel really dumb. I fixed the problem, wanna know how? I switched the monitor.
I really thought there was a problem with my graphics card, but NO, it was a stupid fix. Man why does this always happen to me? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️