Question New ITX Build experiencing random "freezing" events

Diltoid24

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I first noticed this when engaging in large downloads on steam. After 20 minutes, or so, the entire system would freeze, except for the mouse.. Even icue would freeze causing any rgb animations on fan and ram to freeze. Keyboard worked, too, but task manager wouldn't open. Could click the start menu, and then restart, but nothing would happen. Had to do a hard reboot with a 5 second power button press. This I kinda fixed by turning off "turn off hdd after x" in power options. Was able to download all 80 gigs of Fallout 4 in one shot. Well, it's happening still, but at random times,but almost always when pc is sitting idle. Haven't experienced any freezing while actively using it. All timers in power options are turned off, at this point. Windows is installed on a crucial p5 2tb Gen 4 nvme.

Code:
Rog strix B550I
Ryzen 5600x
Rog Ryuo 120mm AIO
Radeon rog strix 6700xt
Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3600mhz
2TB crucial P5 Gen 4 nvme
1TB crucial Gen 3 nvme
EVGA Supernova 850 G5

The other day, I did have a video playing in the background, on edge, and it seems to have frozen at some point after the video ended. I read somewhere that ai suite 3 could cause this, and some ahci thing could cause this. If anyone has any idea, I'm all ears.

There are settings in the EPU section of the AI Suite 3 which could be causing your problems. It would help to check the EPU settings and make sure that its set to Performance mode with Away Mode and Sleep disabled. You could also open the windows Device Manager app and check the Power Management settings for all of your applicable devices to make sure none of them are set to allow windows to shut off the device to save power.

Diltoid24

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I think I've already disabled all the timers in the power management. Didn't know about the ones in the EPU of AI Suite. Just set all of them to never turn off, hopefully that helps the matter. I've always heard that Asus makes good hardware but absolutely crap software. One reason I'm using Icue instead of Armoury Crate :p